CCTV Cable advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me and the neighbour have fitted cameras on our houses, I need to run a CCTV cable to link upto his DVR, would the cable (listed below) be suitable

Your assistance would be helpful, many thanks in advance

Phill

RG59/U Data Coaxial Cable

75 Ohms coaxial cable for use in high frequency
signal and data transmission applications.

Braided copper screen plus aluminium foil and solid PE dielectric.

CSA3: - 0mm²
Strands: - 1/0.65mm
Screen: - 64/0.12mm
Cable Ø: - 6.0mm
Colour: - Black 100m
Impedance: - 75 ohms
Attenuation @ 100MHz 9.8dB/m (±5dB)
Attenuation @ 200MHz 14.5dB/m (±5dB)
Attenuation @ 600MHz 28.7dB/m (±5dB)
Attenuation @ 1000MHz 36.5dB/m (±5dB)
Capacitance: - 69.9pF/m

Sponsored Links
You still on with that??

How many camera's are you linking back?
What's the distance?
What is the run? - externally exposed etc

Attenuation @ 100MHz 9.8dB/m (±5dB)
Are you sure you got these specs down right? 9.8dB per metre is a hell of a loss.

The basic "cheapie" cable I do for budget installs is 4.9db/100 metres. So I'll get more signal out of the end of my cable after its travelled 100 m than you'll get from you cable after it has gone down 1 metre.

You still on with that??

How many camera's are you linking back?
What's the distance?
What is the run? - externally exposed etc

Yes i'm back :LOL: Recording is fine

Will be running my cable through my loft and down back of house down side of decking (no chance of having a spade put through it) :rolleyes:

Then across next doors garden (in protection) then into the neighbour with the DVR, up his garden into his loft :LOL:

Length roughly 50 -70m

just running one camera from mine to his (he has got 1 camera recording as well).

Could you advise on where to get cable from, medium price :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Medium price doesn't mean much. How much was the other cable going to cost you for 100m?

Price is a funny one. What the trade pay is not necessarily what the GP pay, nor are they usually likely to use same supplier as GP. A quick google should give you enough sites to gain a fair idea.

^^^ Not great quality though. In fact I'd go further and say the cable quality is appalling if the specs given originally are correct. Definitely worth trying to find something better for similar/a bit more money.

Phile, what connectors are you putting on the ends of the cables?

^^^ Not great quality though. In fact I'd go further and say the cable quality is appalling if the specs given originally are correct. Definitely worth trying to find something better for similar/a bit more money.

Re: The quality of cable, "Definitely worth trying to find something better for similar/a bit more money"

Could you direct to a website that does do quality cable, will be using Nomal BNC connectors? should I be using something different?

Re: The quality of cable, "Definitely worth trying to find something better for similar/a bit more money"

Could you direct to a website that does do quality cable, will be using Nomal BNC connectors? should I be using something different?

If you can get your hands on Cat5, i'd use that. Just need a pair of Baluns and your sorted.

If you can get your hands on Cat5, i'd use that. Just need a pair of Baluns and your sorted.

CAT5 is a bit cheaper than video coax, sure...but wouldn't the cost of 8 baluns double the price at least? That's based on cheap indoor baluns at a fiver a piece. Would they still be working when they've been outside for 3 months? I suppose the OP could spring for some proper outdoor rated baluns - what are they, about £20 -£30 a pop? I dunno, CAT 5 is starting to look expensive for a cheap little 4 camera system.

CAT5 is a bit cheaper than video coax, sure...but wouldn't the cost of 8 baluns double the price at least? That's based on cheap indoor baluns at a fiver a piece. Would they still be working when they've been outside for 3 months? I suppose the OP could spring for some proper outdoor rated baluns - what are they, about £20 -£30 a pop? I dunno, CAT 5 is starting to look expensive for a cheap little 4 camera system.
Why?
OP is only linking one camera back to the DVR - and we've been through this before. The other camera at neighbours house is already connected.

And why the need for external Baluns?

I thought it was a four camera system. Guess I got it mixed up with a system I was looking at recently. My bad on that.

Why an outdoor balun...Well the OP does say "camera on house" which suggests to me that it's outside. Doesn't it to you? So a balun that's going to resist corrosion from atmospheric moisture seems like a reasonable precaution don't you think? Particularly when it's part of the video chain in a home security system which might not be monitored every day. I mean, can you imagine how frustrating it would be to go to the trouble of installing a CCTV system only for a camera to go down just when its needed all for the sake of saving £20.

I don't recall saying the balun would be left exposed to the elements. As with any connection to external device. Relevant protection required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back