Cctv complaint

similar discussion here: https://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/threads/the-law-and-domestic-cctv-advice-please.115875/

The 2.5m rule would mean Ring doorbells and any other camera below ground floor ceiling height are not permitted.

Also, that, if domestic, covers permitted development. You could always get planning permission. Maybe call the planning department and ask? Or speak to local parish council about it?

What sort of cameras do you have? I'd put them back up outside, 10m apart, and then put some up inside, pointing out the windows (will need to disable night vision), as these would not be classed as a development.

But curious to know how enforceable this all is - but if cops said no, then it is a bit tricky ... but do and should the police act on these complains - I bet they police only turned up because somebody said they thought the cameras were spying on them in their home or something.

Sponsored Links
planning department can have houses torn back down so it would be enforceable.

however if you found 1 or more others with similar and that have been up for a while in your street, then you could take it up with the planning department asking why me?

to be fair planning, police and ico don't usually do anything until someones complained.

Police would only really be bothered if you can see into someones house or private garden, the ico are more fussy and the council planning....

Your not going to put a door bell 2.5M+ up a wall, makes it difficult to use for most.

I do get why they don't want great big CCTV cameras around, I would image some of the PTZ that have been stuck on side of houses would be close to violating the permitted size.

Sponsored Links
Typical left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing as the gov website is saying planning is NOT required for a cctv system ...should have asked the SSIAB inspector on his visit today !

and you expect to get straight answers.

interesting as far as I can see it applies to all areas, which means lots of systems I have driven past today would breach planning.

Id put them back up and tell them to go bury their heads up their own assholes.

You have a vexatious complaining neighbour, find out who it is and make their life as difficult!

I do get why they don't want great big CCTV cameras around, I would image some of the PTZ that have been stuck on side of houses would be close to violating the permitted size.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I've got 3 of them, 2 of them stick out on a arm 2ft long.

Andy

I am sure you have made the right decision for you, but in general most domestics don't need them.

if the ptz is patrolling or following a suspect, its possible to get the camera to go one way and the offenders to go in its current blind spot.

PTZ are usually lower resolution and allow on the optical zoom to get a good clear useable image for ID.

So according to this 10m rule, you can't have a pair of cameras mounted together looking in different directions. Crazy.

I am following this thread, interested to see where it leads. These rules are certainly in place in some areas, e.g. listed here: https://www.camden.gov.uk/cctv-cameras-security-lights-planning-permission

But, this only suggests that there are no permitted development rights and you can apply for planning permission. Although an unwelcome cost!

Planning Portal says "Planning permission is not normally required for installing a CCTV camera, though if you live in a listed building or conservation area you should check with your local planning authority."

So you might be unlucky and live somewhere with some strict rules on cameras.

As far as I cam see it applies to all councils, although probably not enforced unless someone complains.

Interesting. So a busybody neighbour knows the rules and has grassed.

This must mean then that ring doorbells break the rules - odd that nobody has mentioned it before though...

From my understanding of ring doorbells or cctv in general, you don't need it if only recording your own property. Ring doorbells can be set for distance and zones so really no excuse for recording outside you own property. If you record outside that area you have to have signs saying so. This means that members of the public can request any data you hold on them and you must respond within 30 days. Ring doorbells, even with a subscription, only store images for 30 days. You can set your CCTV to overwrite every 30 days too. So, they have the right to ask for images, you then wait 30 days before replying saying....no images exist for that date as they have been deleted. Job done!

Those would be the privacy rules, but that is different from the planning rules, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back