CEF AP28 won't stop beeping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a power cut this afternoon, during which the internal sounder for my alarm system (which has never been used) sounded continuously and the control panel started beeping continuously. I've 'fixed' the sounder by disconnecting the speaker but the control panel is still going.

The alarm system documentation refers to it as a CEF AP28. The control panel says 'Challenger Security Systems'. I've attached an image (the actual unit is horizontal). The green mains light flashes occasionally (and there seems to be an unlabelled amber light next to it which flashes at the same time). The amber "day" light flashes continuously. All the other lights are on continuously.

Suggestions? The system is not under maintenance and was installed more than 10 years ago (I know not by whom). I would really like to be able to sleep tonight... probably best to assume that I'm dumb and blond, even though I'm neither. I have (and have read) the User Manual, and have downloaded and read the installation manual (but that's well beyond my skill level).

I've tried: the reset code. Arming it, leaving the house, returning, disarming it.

Sponsored Links
It's a c and k 800 l and the battery is probably faulty , remove battery down power system and repower. it may have gone back to factory default 1234 if your code does not work. Replace battery as soon as possible screwfix or Cef may be your best bet.

Is that the battery in the main control unit you're talking about (Box under the stairs with pcb) or a battery in the keypad unit?

Battrey removed, system powrered down and back up. I now have a continuous tone rather than beeping and all lights are off except for the mains light. Neither my code nor 1234# work. Nor does the enginerring code (from the installation manual). :(

Sponsored Links
Did you remove battery ? Most issues with these panels are down to faulty battery you could try to factory default panel by shorting out the default link on panel and power up the panel. Then enter 1234

Hi! Yes, I disconnected the battery -- both terminals. At some point during the night, the continuous tone ceased so I suspect either a timer kicked in or another battery I'm not aware of went flat. In either case, I've time to find an electrician (probably to decommission the whole system).

Rather then decommission the system and compromise the security of the property , get 3 NSI ( NACOSS) or SSAIB approved alarm companies estimates to service the system and have you back up and running.

Ta madman41

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back