Ceiling lamp and wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

A few days ago one of my room's ceiling lamp stopped working. So I changed the bulb and it still didn't work. I thought it may be the dodgy light switch so I replaced the light switch and it still didn't work. I then went on to replace the bulb holder (or some people as they may call it a "ceiling rose") and it still doesn't work. Please note that I have tested the same bulb in another room and it works.

When I opened the light switch it was pretty simple wiring there. One earth, one return (blue) and one mains (brown). I replaced the switch with like for like wiring.
However when I was replacing the bulb holder I was surprised with the wiring. The 1st photo attached (old.jpg) is the previous holder and the 2nd photo attached (new.jpg) is the newly replaced holder which I am replacing the wiring like for like. I haven't changed any arrangements of the wiring etc but the bulb still doesnt work.

Could anyone please let me know if I am doing something silly or should I call the electrician as its beyond my DIY abilities?

Thanks
Regards

Edit: All the sockets in the room are also working and all the ceiling bulbs in other room on the same floor are also working.

Attachments

• Old.jpg
    Old.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 108
  • New.jpg
    New.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
Sounds like there's a bad connection somewhere, that may be in one of the other lights in the house. But you cannot find this sort of thing by randomly changing things, hoping that you'll find the problem.

Do you have a two probe electrical test device or a multimeter (NOT a neon screwdriver). If you do not have one, then its a bit like trying to fix a puncture without a wheel wrench, you need to get sparky in.

That light is the last in the run. My guess is that if all the other fittings are working, then the other end of the cable feeding the light that is not working has come adrift, probably in the ceiling rose of the fitting preceding the dead one.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back