Lighting

Ah, I see your concern, you think it is a commercial property and I am clearly not qualified as a sparks.
No, this is now my home, and all my time and money is spent trying to bring it back to a livable condition. It is a huge project and with the risk of upsetting qualified tradesmen I have learned to roof, build, plumb and rewire.
Isn't this what DIY is all about?

to be fair, you havent learned to rewire if you're still using neon screwdrivers to see if something is live and can't fathom that voltage on one wire does not make a complete circuit..

Sponsored Links
The mill is several buildings containing 2 x squash courts, 2 x bars, a restaurant, and a dance hall with stage.

I have built a recording studio and eventually the complex will have about 11 livable areas, maybe holiday lets, we'll see.

In one building I have taken out all the electrics cause its easier to start from scratch. It had 3 phase in it, I guess to power the steam rooms.

Getting qualified help here can be a disaster, like the roofer who charged us £10k to fix gutter and facias, and now I have to get him back because its all falling apart. Or the sparks who left leaving a whole area not working because he missed a negative wire in the fuse box.

unless you are a qualified electrician you need a decent electrician you can rely on to maintain all that lot. not all tradesmen are useless, you should get people recommended to you. and don't forget even the best tradesmen can make small mistakes from time to time.

Sponsored Links
Ah, I see your concern, you think it is a commercial property and I am clearly not qualified as a sparks.
I wondered if it was a commercial property. I knew that you weren't a qualified sparks, nor even a competent DIYer.

No, this is now my home
No it isn't, or at least it isn't solely your home - it is at least in part a commercial venture:
The mill is several buildings....

I have built a recording studio and eventually the complex will have about 11 livable areas, maybe holiday lets
It would be grossly negligent of you to do any more work on the electrics until you have learned a lot more.

What did you tell Building Control would be the way that you would ensure compliance with Part P?

I have learned to... rewire.
No you haven't.
It is a screwdriver with a bulb in the handle, when you hold the base of the handle next to a wire, it lights the bulb in the driver if a current is passing through the wire.
No - it lights up if there is a voltage relative to earth - there doesn't have to be any current flowing.
even if the 'tester' is naff, it shows a current going through the wire when the switch is thrown, but that current would need to complete the circuit.
So what are the two wires that connected the old strip (red & black) could they be both positive or both negative, as opposed to a switched live.
Neither will be positive or negative, as those concepts don't apply to AC.
Or the sparks who left leaving a whole area not working because he missed a negative wire in the fuse box.

You don't understand the basic concept of a circuit.

You don't understand that there is a difference between voltage and current, even after being told.

You don't understand that there is a difference between AC and DC, even after being told.

You don't have, or understand the importance of, proper test equipment.

You can't even get a light with just a line and neutral to it to work, or find out why it isn't working.

And you think you should be completely rewiring large properties, with recording studios, HMO characteristics, accommodation which you might rent out?

FGS get some common sense.

In one building I have taken out all the electrics cause its easier to start from scratch.
Was it?

How do you know?

You might have unnecessarily pushed your refurbishment costs up quite a lot by doing that - in no way were you competent or experienced enough to have made a sound judgement.

Getting qualified help here can be a disaster.
Not a big a one as the electrical disaster looming...

God I'm lost, I need to get a book and read up on this.
And that was your verdict on yourself when you were struggling to understand how a light with 1 line and 1 neutral to it worked. Learned to rewire? I'm afraid you haven't even begun to learn....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back