Ceiling like meringue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’ve joined as I’ve recently bought a house and the ceiling in the little bathroom looks like meringue. I’ve never seen anything like it before, has anyone else? My only suggestion so far was to cover it with a wooden board and create a fake ceiling, rather than try and chip/scrape it off. Any ideas?
IMG_2789.jpeg

Sponsored Links
rip the plasterboard off and fit new, you cant come down any lower as its already touching the door architrave

I guess you should check if its artex as that can contain asbestos

i cant say ive ever seen that finish before......

How old is the house?

Can you get in the loft and look at the upper surface of the ceiling?

That's what happens you go away on holiday, handing the job to a business that is "plastering and decorating", buy all the materials for plastering and they send the decorator guy

Sponsored Links
rip the plasterboard off and fit new, you cant come down any lower as its already touching the door architrave

I guess you should check if its artex as that can contain asbestos

i cant say ive ever seen that finish before......
Nobody who’s come round to see the house has seen this finish before either! It’s just difficult to know what to do because it comes down so low, as you’ve said.

Dig a bit. If you're worried dig through shaving foam.
I bet that's pink plaster and hard.
No way you can do that with artex IMO.
If pink. Pull the lot down.
Plasterboard
Joint fill
Paint

Yeah. Seen similar before.

Thanks all. It’s like this underneath so hoping we can just rip it all off!
IMG_3308.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3307.jpeg
    IMG_3307.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 8
How old is the house?

Can you get in the loft and look at the upper surface of the ceiling?
These questions are relevant to what will happen if you try to pull it down.

First you need to make a record-breaking Eaton Mess, and then you can use your newfound celebrity status to secure a place on various reality shows.
Thanks for sharing! Meringue!!

But, seriously, yes, what they said, but be careful as those plasterboard panels will be very heavy! All the best!

It was built in the 1950s, ex council house. Just had a peek into the loft and looks like its plasterboard under the insulation.

If it's plasterboard, you have a fair chance of getting it off.

Lath and plaster would be much worse.

It was probably put on to hide a damaged or cracked ceiling so you may need to repair or reboard. Might have been a water leak.

Thank you, will see how we get on with removing it, and will see what damage they were trying to hide! It makes sense they were trying to hide something with how thick it is.

I would run a sharp stanley blade along the ceiling joint before trying to remove the panel. That way you'll mitigate damage to the wall.
You've got this! PPE!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back