ceiling: lining with paper or plastering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we have moved into a house a few months ago where all the ceiling are covered with woodchip wall paper. we would like to have it removed and have brought in 2 professional decorators to advise/give quotes. One recommends stripping the woodchip paper and lining the ceiling with paper and the other recommends stripping the woodchip paper and plaster the ceiling. the quote for plastering is quite a lot more than the one recommending using paper.

can anyone provide us with any advice as to which recommendation we should go for, (obviously saving a bit of money helps if both methods produce the same end result...!)

many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi,

we have moved into a house a few months ago where all the ceiling are covered with woodchip wall paper. we would like to have it removed and have brought in 2 professional decorators to advise/give quotes. One recommends stripping the woodchip paper and lining the ceiling with paper and the other recommends stripping the woodchip paper and plaster the ceiling. the quote for plastering is quite a lot more than the one recommending using paper.

can anyone provide us with any advice as to which recommendation we should go for, (obviously saving a bit of money helps if both methods produce the same end result...!)

many thanks in advance

How much are you prepared to pay for basically the same result ??

There shouldn't be that much price differential. Also, can the guy plaster?

How much money are we talking?

the one recommending plastering wants is quoting £650 more for doing the lounge, dining and hallway ceilings

Sponsored Links
The total price should be around £400 to 500.

Sorry Joe,

Am I missing something? The OP hasn't mentioned the size of the ceiling but you have managed to tell them how much it should cost.

I find that woodchip and embossed papers are normally used to hide awful surfaces that someone wanted to "tart up", ie the surface underneath is in need of plastering.

Both decorators will need to strip the existing paper, there is a risk that parts of the ceiling might well blow and fall down anyway. if it is an old lathe and plaster ceiling and you dont want the mess associated with ripping it down, provided you have enough clearance, you can have a sub-frame installed and then plasterboarded, alternatively you could just overboard the existing ceiling (using longer scews).

It might well be worthwhile asking both decorators what would happen if in the the event of large parts falling down.

I would be inclined to pay the extra now rather than later on when the room is furnished and decorated. Old ceilings eventually commit suicide and fall down.

Sorry Joe,

Am I missing something? The OP hasn't mentioned the size of the ceiling but you have managed to tell them how much it should cost.

It can't be too big as it would collapse. I can plaster and decorate an average ceiling for around £200 - so it's an average.

dimensions are (in metres sq.): lounge = 16, hallway = 8, dining = 24

How old is the property ? one should be able to tell if the ceiling is badly cracked even with woodchip paper on it.
Woodchip was "Trendy" in the 80`s whack it up and a couple of coats of emulsion made it a cheaper alternative to Artex.
I have stripped many ceilings, filled made good, lined with a quality paper, no reason to replaster,

Get a couple more quotes and if they suggest replaster ask them to explain why, If its that bad then it will probably need reboarding prior to plastering as well.

Im not a fan of looking at linning paper, but as said, it largely depends if its shot and papered together again, or sound and just papered for the look.

Worse case, if your redecorating totally anyway, have the lot down, fresh plasterboard and skim, mist coat, white, smooth and lovely.

Local plaster around here will do a 10m^2 bedroom for £60, £80 if going over artex, with a slopeing skelling.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back