Ceiling tiles to paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken down some ceiling tiles I put up in the 80's to keep warm. The blobs of glue came off ok with 2kw's belting away at it but it does leave a really nasty mess. This was Just the job for a wet winters day.I painted it white, just to even the colour up a bit but it did look a bit lumpy. I then took off to Focus to see what the paper situation was. I came back with some Graham Brown paste the ceiling paper. About 4 years ago I papered a 3 bedroomed house top to bottom and it was laborious. This stuff went up single handed with no effort at all.I am so happy because it looks fantastic :LOL: I can't wait to get stuck in to the other rooms. I must be dreaming surely it can't be this easy to do!!!.

Sponsored Links
Cool.
I've never used the stuff. How do you go on with the paper swelling when it gets wet? You normally have to leave the paste soaking into the paper for a while before hanging it.

That sound good. Is it a plain paper, or textured vinyl, or what?

wreckedit said:
I have just taken down some ceiling tiles I put up in the 80's to keep warm. The blobs of glue came off ok with 2kw's belting away at it but it does leave a really nasty mess. This was Just the job for a wet winters day.I painted it white, just to even the colour up a bit but it did look a bit lumpy. I then took off to Focus to see what the paper situation was. I came back with some Graham Brown paste the ceiling paper. About 4 years ago I papered a 3 bedroomed house top to bottom and it was laborious. This stuff went up single handed with no effort at all.I am so happy because it looks fantastic :LOL: I can't wait to get stuck in to the other rooms. I must be dreaming surely it can't be this easy to do!!!.

WARNING!!! WARNING!!....GRAHAM AND BROWN SALESMAN ALERT.... :confused:

gcol said:
Cool.
I've never used the stuff. How do you go on with the paper swelling when it gets wet? You normally have to leave the paste soaking into the paper for a while before hanging it.

The backing is made from polyester/acrylic...or a similar material and doesn't swell up..

Sponsored Links
The paper is very light and the backing paper is not as absorbent as the usual paper which makes it very easy to handle. The paper I put up yesterday has dried without any shrinkage at all. The paper does have a stipple finish which is easy on the eye (not deep). If you use it make sure the suface colour is even because any marks will show through. I experimented over a dark patch on white and it can be seen. However, I will be painting it after the coving has gone up. I think it may have a slight insulating value because of its material, and can be painted. It looks GREAT!!!!. Go to[www.grahambrown.com]

Finally I don't have anything to do with the decorating business I am a RECYCLED DIY'er who in the case of this ceiling job was dreading doing it. As I said previously I have done one house and was not looking forward to another. If you have got the same problem with the a ceiling, my advice is to go for it and get yourself happy like me :LOL: .[/url]

As far as being accused as a Salesman I have to take that as a compliment because I am desperately trying to down load from a large semi to a little bungalow. I have so much stuff to get rid of, and I am advertising it everywhere. I have motorbikes, boat, bicycles, instruments and tons of other stuff, in a month I have not sold a thing. Not a single thing. I have not been asking silly prices for it and all ono. So, I'm the sort of Salesman that tells you about it but never sells anything so what does that make me?. I know I'm not happy now :cry:. But, I will be when its all over and I've got my yacht and RIB to play around on all day :LOL:

Another day on the ceilings and things are getting better and better. After a day of holding the heat blower up to the ceiling with my arm it was getting pretty sore. So, I strapped it to a batten that stood on the floor and held the blower about 2 inches from the ceiling. Instant relief. I was able to clear a 12'x12' room today doing it that way :LOL: .

Why did you strap your arm to a baton? :rolleyes:

When you have an old wrecked out body like mine any help and support is really needed. I've just dumped most of the tiles and about to get on with the next glue removing session. I bought the ibufen 400 tablets to help me through the next stage and it also gets bloody hot :oops: . Thats a good idea you have brought to mind. I'll try it with the blower strapped to the batten for this session. I should have done that first of all because I kept getting some splinters in my elbow :cry: OOooo" and couldn't understand why!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back