Cementing a timber edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have added a gravel section to the drive and it will join with a block paved section. I am adding a timber edge between the two and to restrain the block paving.

I was going to laying it on a shallow bed of wet mortar and hammer 3 wooden stacks in on the gravel side and screw to it. Then cement the edge of the timber all the way along to stop it from moving away from the paving.

You can see the timber in situ on the right in the image below.

IMAG0818.jpg

Advice welcome :)

Sponsored Links
Timber won't restrain the block paving. Use a concrete edge set in concrete.

Your right!

I have some concrete edging strips left over actually.

Might have to take up the edge blocks as some of them are now moving.

So...
1. lift the edge blocks
2. Cement edging
3. Re bed blocks

Sponsored Links
Sorry unwanted concrete. Will pick up a couple of bags of ballast tomorrow. What ratio ballast to cement to water would you recommend here?

Assuming that you're rolling a car over it - 4:1 and make sure it's on a good deep bed as well as haunching it up on the side opposite the paving blocks

Brill! Yeah will have a car rolling over it. Reckon 75mm will be enough?

I actually have a spare (new) railway sleeper. Could I use that? It is were concreted in and secured with stakes?

In the end decided to lift the edging block, take back half the bedding material and lay then on concrete. Tapped down with a rubber mallet and then haunched the edges with concrete too.

IMAG0846.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back