Central Heating Boiler No Longer Work During Servicing

can't you email him? or text him?

its annoying when people go AWOL, but sometimes there are good reasons...

If he does not answer my several phone calls at different times of the day and also leaving messages on his answer phone, I doubt he would respond to text or email.

Yes and as I in my reply to bazdaman earlier, having think back to what was said, I think he felt the job to replace the part quite fiddly and he would prefer something more straight forward like servicing/cleaning the boiler and getting paid rather than doing a more involved job and getting paid about the same per hour. i suspect that would be the only reason ! :( People these days are looking for making an easy buck instead of having pride in thier job or have personal moral principles. In my past job, its called having the meat and leaving the bones to others !

Sponsored Links
Changing most parts on this boiler is easy money.

However, multiple calls and messages from one customer actually causes problems sometimes. Depends on the companies call handling methods. It does with mine - well it means people get dropped down the call back list, so is counter-productive for them.

It even says on my recorded message not to do it - but it is amazing how many people think basic instructions don't apply to them.

Not saying that is the case with your guy though.

I would suggest what has happened is.....Gasman has turned pilot light off to test safety, hes then tried to relight it and the gas valve is not responding to 2 things, it could be the thermocouple that's faulty or the Gas valve.

My moneys on the Gas valve electro magnet not holding on. New Gas valve will be a simple fix.

If no joy from original bloke, then get another in to sort it.

Its no big deal. Good Luck

I think you are learning the value of a good relation with a heating technician

the ones who get the best service are those that engage a little bit further than a swap of skill for cash..

Its all down to basic human relations I am afraid, perhaps you lack those skills and you come over as all demanding and indifferent..

Sponsored Links
I would suggest what has happened is.....Gasman has turned pilot light off to test safety, hes then tried to relight it and the gas valve is not responding to 2 things, it could be the thermocouple that's faulty or the Gas valve.

My moneys on the Gas valve electro magnet not holding on. New Gas valve will be a simple fix.

The OP is now saying the pilot WAS on, but the GF couldn't get it to fire, which rules out the TC or the EM. The boiler was then isolated. If the OP is accurate(!). So anew gas valbve could be a large wasr=te of cash. There is also the OH stat to consider..............., as well as the binding issue. As I said this si as easy as it gets. which is why I was asking if the OP has actualkly checked the guys credentials.

OP, you haven't said if the phone is a landline or mobile. I get so many messages on either that are useless, and cannot be understood. If the caller has allowed their number to be sent, I can call back - if it is withheld, then there is a punter thinking I do not care. A TEXT on the other hand, if sent to the right number is plain to see, as well as being some sort of evidence if a dispute about who said and did what ensues further down the line.

I think the most likely is Pilot failure wasn't shutting the gas off.

Why else would he isolate the boiler and stick a red warning label on it

It would if it was the green push button gas valve sticking half way out as they so often do on these pilot on but magneto not charged

Thanks for your encouragement and good luck wish.

I think you are learning the value of a good relation with a heating technician

the ones who get the best service are those that engage a little bit further than a swap of skill for cash..

Its all down to basic human relations I am afraid, perhaps you lack those skills and you come over as all demanding and indifferent..

Do you not think I am not aware of good human relations given that I have the same plumber all these years and only changed the gas engineer when my previous engineer for over 5 years moved into the commercial side ? But it also work both ways - if technicians want repeated work and recommendations.

The OP is now saying the pilot WAS on, but the GF couldn't get it to fire, which rules out the TC or the EM. The boiler was then isolated. If the OP is accurate(!). So anew gas valbve could be a large wasr=te of cash. There is also the OH stat to consider..............., as well as the binding issue. As I said this si as easy as it gets. which is why I was asking if the OP has actualkly checked the guys credentials.

OP, you haven't said if the phone is a landline or mobile. I get so many messages on either that are useless, and cannot be understood. If the caller has allowed their number to be sent, I can call back - if it is withheld, then there is a punter thinking I do not care. A TEXT on the other hand, if sent to the right number is plain to see, as well as being some sort of evidence if a dispute about who said and did what ensues further down the line.

Does this mean its not the gas valve ? The pilot can be lighted, but the boiler is not firing up. Then some fiddling, and from here on, I am not sure if the pilot can still be lighted or not as there was no attempt. Only that the engineer then started to test the orange button that you push to light the pilot and said that the safety is not cutting out - he said that this mean if the pilot goes out, gas will still be leaking out and i can smell the gas. So need to change the gas valve.

I know for sure his got the Safe Gas credentials and his big company is quite widely advertised. I have both his mobile and landline and I always introduced myself and give my phone number even though I don't use the withold number function and he knows me as he had serviced my hot water boiler before (separate boiler for water and central heating). Besides, I was expecting him to call be back to let me know if he managed to get the replacement part. But your suggestion about texting him is useful for dispute purpose.

So if you think it is not the gas valve, what is the next step because if he were to come back, that is what he would change and I get get one that is on special offer now until coming Monday? Would save me quite a bit of cash for this part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back