central heating boiler noise!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
just been round to the grandparents who have a noisey central heating boiler, it sounds like a cross between a kettle and car brakes squeeling and is quite loud, its not a combi and it is quite old, the only time the noise appears is when the boiler kicks in, the make is called MYSON APOLLO 15/30 30/50 65/80 (if that makes any sence!), the last time it was serviced was in 1996!!, anyone got a clue as what makes the noise?, i'm not a plumber and if its an easy fix then i might give it a go (they haven't got much money), any reply's please treat me like your dealing with a complete clown as i know virtualy nothing about central heating!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Check the pump is running, if its not the heat can't get away from the boiler and it bangs like anything.
Another problem could be the system being sludged up or the heat exchanger is scaled.

There is a FAQ on the site about how to check the pump is running but as a rough guide, feel for vibration and put a screwdriver on the centre screw and 'listen' down the driver to see if you can hear it running, also unscrew the cap and see if its spinning..... this isn't 100% accurate but its a start for a 'novice'

Hope this helps

Dave T
Incorporated Engineer, Corporate Member of the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers

i think the pumps o.k, but is it one of those things that is either 'working' or 'not', i.e do they slow down to half performance or completly stop?, all the rads warm up well, you say the system might be sludged up, how do i go on about de-sludging the system as this sounds like a cheap and easy first try to fix it?, do i need to add anything to the system for this?

You coud search on the web for 'DIY Powerflush' and follow what they say.... Get some Fernox Cleaner (F3) and Boiler noise silencer (F2 i think off the top of my head) and add them to the system..... do the cleaner first, follow the instructions on the bottle, then protect and inhibit the system with F1 protector, along with the silencer.... see if this helps..

Otherwise, I'm sorry, its try a professional job with stronger chemicals or the heat exchanger is for the knackers yard.

Without seeing the system however, I can't give you 100% accurate advice just guidance on what you say.

Pump would probably be working or not, unlikely for it to throw a sporadic working fit.

Dave T
Incorporated Engineer, Corporate Member of the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers

Sponsored Links
do you know if the boiler has a combustion fan? if so it could be the bearings becoming noisey

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back