Central Heating Bypass Pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a system boiler with a Megaflow hot water tank and quite a few radiators (approx. 16). My boiler seems to be pretty conventionally plumbed in except for one small bit of pipe.

I've marked it with a red dotted line on the drawing below:
Heating-Diagram.jpg

I don't understand what purpose this serves as surely it allows loads of water to take the simplest path back the the boiler without ever being circulated to the radiators or hot water cylinder.

The red circle is an isolation valve, I assume this is partially closed to 'balance' the hot water tank in a similar way to the radiators?

Anybody able to explain this to me?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't think you've drawn this correctly. If you had the HW wouldn't work properly.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

Simond, that's 100% how it is, it seems totally bizarre to me!

Dan_Robinson do you think that having it there is correct then? What stops the water simply circulating in the small loop and never going around the radiators?

Sponsored Links
The red dot is drawn on the wrong side of the tee I would wager.

If not then there should be something else on there..... As said by my esteemed colleagues. A picture is needed.

I think it is correctly drawn and could work, but the bypass pipe should either be very small bore like 10 mm or should have some kind of valve on it.

Tony

It's not drawn correctly and you would get reverse circulation. A picture as said would help

We don't know if its drawn correctly or not at this stage.

There are all sorts of abortions out there!

A picture speaks a thousand words!

Tony

The op reckons its drawn correctly and if so then the c/heating return is in the wrong place, maybe there is a check valve in place as there is no mention of rads heating up with just the hot water on.

I don't see anything wrong with the CH piping. Nor any reason for any rads to heat with CH off.

Providing of course that the CH return is connected close to the boiler as shown.

Tony

Morning all, sorry for the delay, it's really difficult to take a meaningful photograph as it's a bit of a maze of pipework - easy to trace when you can keep moving your head around, difficult from one angle, and from multiple photographs, every pipe looks the same!

I've attached a photograph and attempted to annotate it for you. The red arrows are where I'm not sure why that length of pipe exists.

To clarify, the radiators do heat up when they should. We do get hot water when we should. However, our heating bills are huge and in the depths of winter everything struggles despite the boiler being well sized. My concern is that a decent proportion of flow is going straight back to the return.

IMG_3915.JPG
Labelled.jpg

I think it is correctly drawn and could work, but the bypass pipe should either be very small bore like 10 mm or should have some kind of valve on it.

Tony

You think this is drawn correctly and should work?

It's not drawn correctly and you would get reverse circulation. A picture as said would help

We don't know if its drawn correctly or not at this stage.

There are all sorts of abortions out there!

A picture speaks a thousand words!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back