Central heating gas pipe opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a hellish mess. I think this underlines the fact that once a trade has regulations which restrict work to its own cartels, the regulations become self-serving and don't even necessarily require good work. From a safety POV both that copper pipe which could be hit and fractured by anyone carrying a heavy object, and the unprotected T/E passing over an unearthed metal bracket, are legal but not good practice. Thankfully no Part P in Scotland so we don't have any electrical "Freemasons' club" here. Yet.

Love the corner cut off the vent. John Wayne would have been proud of that. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
From a safety POV both that copper pipe which could be hit and fractured by anyone carrying a heavy object,

There is no safety aspect there, the pipe is well supported and labelled as to what it is carrying. Is a pipe under the floor or in a wall a greater risk then as it isn't visible and may be nailed or screwed into without realising? Where do you draw the line of anything having an associated risk of damage? Should all pipework be enclosed in a metal casing? The risk is only created by someone not practicing common sense and planning ahead.

There is nothing wrong with that install at all, as requested from the OP before I believe he has got what he paid for and would not have had that engineer in if he had quoted for all the labour involved in running internally and chasing walls and lifting carpets and boards and notching joists etc.

As for the flue position and cutting the corner to the vent that would be down to the position of the boiler internally and pound to a pinch the OP wanted the boiler in a certain position and again moving the boiler would have cost him more.

Jon

The job is legal and safe, subject to that vent.
However, I always point out a gas route if it is visible, it is a bit stupid not to, as punters will always moan about it if they were not expecting it. If a concealed internal route was practically avalable, I would actually have quoted for that. For all we know, the surveyor DID quote or cover cost of internals - the OP should check.
To be completely pedantic: the clips could have been brass; clips could be better positioned; the making good of the right hand hole looks excessive. I would never, though, support an action on these grounds, as it is, essentially, a tidy job - better than a lot.
The one (actually 4) thing I cannot forgive is the yellow gas tape. There is no requirement for ID tape on a domestic property. It is useful in some scenarios to avoid doubt, but in this case there are sufficient indicators that it is gas :)))

There is no safety danger to the gas pipe, without an intention to damage, it is practically impossible to damage to the extent of a leak. There is, in most modern homes, a more damaging prospect for a wanton vandal.:sneaky:

Whilst it might be safe etc it looks shocking and the standard of work is appalling. Holes for pipes obviously drilled from the inside with breakout around the holes, hence the large amounts of mortar around the holes.
As a tradesman you should know that it would look 5h1t, particularly on the primary elevation of the building and make the client aware and give them options.
From the staining on the brickwork below the vent there was obviously a previous flue there and it looks like the original blow off has been used so why not use the original run for the gas pipe assuming it has ben upgraded to comply with the new boilers requirements.
As I said if as a tradesman you think doing this without first consulting with the client is acceptable then I'm glad you're not working for me.
Route of least resistance bodge IMHO.

Sponsored Links
It looks very bad,maybe it could have been installed inside at extra expense.

Who ever has to pay for the installation should inform the installer otherwise nothing will get done,looks like a quick social housing contractor job.

Totally agree it looks shocking and back in my working days I would hate to be associated with work such as this.

BUT, and this can be the installers only reasonable excuse, nothing in this thread has actually said what type of installation it is. For instance was it done via a grant, or free/low cost (subsidised)? If so the installers would be under very tight time and money restraints. The left behind vent seems to suggest it was this type of installation. No time allowed for it to be removed and made good with matching facing bricks.

The end result with these installations is being completed with a time limit is that installers are forced to take the easy route where pipe runs are concerned, may not look too good but, as previously said, 100% safe provided, of course, that vent has been blocked off.

The vent need to be remove and brick up.

Sorry guys, it's look crap and I wouldn't have that in my house.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back