New gas central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to install a new gas combi central heating system in my new house, it currently has night storage heaters. I am a fully qualified Plumber and was also CORGI registered but no longer work in the trade. Obviously I want to do the work myself but an ex-colleague has advised the gas safe regulations state I cant touch the gas side. I class myself as a competent person and the installation is in my own home and 'not for profit'. I have considered leaving the gas work to an RGI but the initial ones I have consulted are not keen on doing only a small part of the installation. Can anyone advise?

Sponsored Links
If you have the knowledge and the equipment, just do it.

+1

As long as you're not too worried about having the I s dotted and T s crossed in the paperwork.

You may well have much more experience than many of the RGIs you employ to do the work.

Sponsored Links
If you do it and discuss with an RGI who will come and commission it to ensure you get the warranty then he is not likely to charge much.

Depending on where you are then Tim is a helpful fellow. Not seen him posting lately though so I hope he is alright.

Tony

Trouble is, if an RGI carries out a commission only, he's taking responsibility for someone else's work including the stuff that can't be seen. No offence to the OP, he may be a top notch plumber, but if there's subsequently an issue with the installation, the commissioning installer will carry the can.

Should remember that alot of top class plumbers were lost because they did not want to get involved with the politics/red tape/ and expense of corgi and gas safe, but if a home owner installs his own c/h system and an RGI wont commission the system his only fall back is to contact builings control and pay for the honour to get it signed off.

Should remember that alot of top class plumbers were lost because they did not want to get involved with the politics/red tape/ and expense of corgi and gas safe, but if a home owner installs his own c/h system and an RGI wont commission the system his only fall back is to contact builings control and pay for the honour to get it signed off.

& we all know that BC know what to look at & test :rolleyes:

I did a boiler commission once for a landlord who got all the plumbing done and left me to test for leak and commission boiler, I had to move the boiler ,flue in the wrong place, I had to empty water out of the gas meter it had wrong pipe connect to boiler, Other than that it was fine. javascript:emoticon(':cry:')javascript:emoticon(':confused:')

As a fair compromise, I think I'd settle for installing the gas pipe and flue, the majority of the work will be water side anyway. Commission it and check it's operating safely. Get something in writing that it's a commission only. If the rads didn't all work, it wouldn't then be my responsibility to put them right.

As a fair compromise, I think I'd settle for installing the gas pipe and flue, the majority of the work will be water side anyway. Commission it and check it's operating safely. Get something in writing that it's a commission only. If the rads didn't all work, it wouldn't then be my responsibility to put them right.
I can go along with that, seems fair.

Thanks for the comments & advice. I am competent to do all the work and still own my test equipment, however I'm still going to try and get a RGI onside to do all the gas work and commissioning. I have a gas fire to install now as well so may make it worthwhile taking the job? That should avoid invalidating the boiler warranty.

I plan to install a new gas combi central heating system in my new house, it currently has night storage heaters. I am a fully qualified Plumber and was also CORGI registered but no longer work in the trade. Obviously I want to do the work myself but an ex-colleague has advised the gas safe regulations state I cant touch the gas side. I class myself as a competent person and the installation is in my own home and 'not for profit'. I have considered leaving the gas work to an RGI but the initial ones I have consulted are not keen on doing only a small part of the installation. Can anyone advise?
Get your ex-colleague to show you that in writing...

Trouble is, if an RGI carries out a commission only, he's taking responsibility for someone else's work including the stuff that can't be seen. No offence to the OP, he may be a top notch plumber, but if there's subsequently an issue with the installation, the commissioning installer will carry the can.

If I come across an un commissioned appliance I am supposed to commission it or cap it off...

I have no problem checking all the obvious things, if there is anything untoward that I cannot physically see then its not really my problem, I would always mark on the cert/bench that I am not the installing engi.

Taken straight from Gas Safe website:-

"It is not acceptable for someone who is not Gas Safe registered to fit a gas appliance or do other gas work and then have the work checked by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Both parties would be breaking the law."

:eek:

There you go then......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back