Central heating installation, price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have had a quote for the following-

Rip out the very old system, install a Worcester 30si condensing combi boiler, install nine new radiators, a wireless control panel, all new pipe work throughout the house, total cost would be £3000.

So is that a good price?

Thanks
Lee

Sponsored Links
That sounds very cheap where ever you are located.

Is the installer really CORGI registered ( meaning that you have independent confirmation ) ?

Tony

I'm in Chester, a friend of mine has told me that he has used him in the past and that he is corgi registered.

You should still check him on the CORGI web site to be sure.

Make sure that the boiler installation is notified to CORGI and the Benchmark is completed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Very good price, is the boiler stolen :LOL:

I would quote around £4K + VAT

Make sure that the boiler installation is notified to CORGI and the Benchmark is completed.

Tony
Well when he gave me the price I asked if he could do it any cheaper for cash! he said "No, I have to register the fitting of the boiler, so I can't hide anything"

So I take it that it's all above board! I mentioned it to a builder mate of mine and he said he sometimes knocks his prices down if he is low on work, so maybe he is doing the same!

I don't care if it is as long as it works...can I say that :p

So what sort of price would all the parts be if I went out and bought them trade?.....or shall I say it another way.....can he still make a profit on that price he has quoted me?

So what sort of price would all the parts be if I went out and bought them trade?

How would you do that when you're not?

It's a very easy thing to find out the cost of the items but be prepared to lose your installer.

If you try and pare his already reasonable price to the bone, don't be surprised if he cuts every corner that he can.

EliteHeat";p="897322 said:
If you try and pare his already reasonable price to the bone, don't be surprised if he cuts every corner that he can.

Or laughs at you and walks away!... He aint making any money on the kit so you get all the hassle of getting the kit and warranty issues.

Tony
Well when he gave me the price I asked if he could do it any cheaper for cash! he said "No, I have to register the fitting of the boiler, so I can't hide anything"

Good for him. Your question is an indication of a potentially nasty customer. You no doubt want everything right on your side of the fence, yet you would encourage people do do things illegaly, and already on the top of a very reasonable price.

I don't care if it is as long as it works...can I say that :p

You can say it, it's confirmation of a potentially nasty customer. I hope he realises this and walks away. He's better off without you.

The problem with people receiving quotes, especially from plumbers, is that they always feel they are being shafted, because they can't see why prices vary so much. I have been asked on lots of occasions why this happens, and can only answer that different plumbers have various ways of getting the same job done. It doesn't help when punters watch 'Rogue Traders' and Watchdog, then thinking that they are getting turned over every time.
I think the OP was just querying the costing, although I do agree with Oilman to a point about not pushing it too much, as it seems as if the OP is trying to take the pish :evil:

OK OK calm down, I think you have all misunderstood what I was getting at! (Apart from crocket)

Hence why I changed the question to

"or shall I say it another way.....can he still make a profit on that price he has quoted me?"

I'm extremely happy with the quote now I know what the going rate is, I had no idea how much the going rate was before (hense why I came here) but when I got replies such as

"is the boiler stolen"

"That sounds very cheap where ever you are located".

"Is the installer really CORGI registered"

"I would quote around £4K + VAT"

I started to worry that he is doing it too cheap! and if so at what cost of quality to the system! If I had come here first and been told to expect a quote of around £4000, when he quoted me £3000 I wouldn't have said a word as I'd have known it was a good quote.

I just didn't know how much it was going to be, hence why I asked him is that the best price etc! If you went out to buy a car with no idea of the cost of the car you were after would you just say OK to the first price given or would you ask if they could knock any off?!?!

Obviously if he is still making money on the labour or whatever, then he can still install a good system and I am more than happy. If you had all said "At that price he can't be making anything", then I would be really worried!

As for the stolen thing why did you think I put the "I don't care if it is as long as it works...can I say that :p" (The clue is in the big laughing face image) Obviously I wouldn't spend that sort of cash on a stolen product which I then wouldn't be able to make a claim on if something went wrong...chill out!

I work in the car industry, I know that some people will go into the showroom, see a car for £20,000 and say that's nice and buy it for the full £20,000! I also know other people will go after the same car and talk to the same sale person and get exactly the same car for £18,000! See where I'm going? Unless you know the 'actual' price of the product you don't know if you are getting a good deal or not.

is he using the 9 carat copper pipe , or the 18 carat. :LOL: seems a fair price to me.

As for the stolen thing why did you think I put the "I don't care if it is as long as it works...can I say that :p" (The clue is in the big laughing face image) Obviously I wouldn't spend that sort of cash on a stolen product which I then wouldn't be able to make a claim on if something went wrong...chill out!

Likewise, a shame you can't recognise laughing faces when it suits you :rolleyes:

Well I would charge you 1 Million pound
Austin_Powers_Mike_Myers_as_Dr_Evil.jpg

Seriously though thats a good price ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back