Central heating - mailfunction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please help with my conventional C/heating system approx 20/30 yrs old. Boiler make Potterton NetaHeat 10 - 16.
The problem i have is i can not have just have the hot water on without the c/heating being on. i have turned off all the valves on the raditors in the short term. i can not locate and 2/3 way solenoid/servo motor actuated valves any where on the system. Any suggestions welcomed
thanks
capri

Sponsored Links
i would say your system is gravity hw pumped heating.
what programmer have you ?
can you not just switch hw on only heating off ?
or can you select hw only but rads still get hot ?

check f&e tank has water in it - couple of inches above cold feed connection is about right.

Yes system is gravity feed. Programme is Danfoss 3060 i replaced it Dec'08. it is set for Heating off , Water on twice but as u said heating still comes on.

Sponsored Links
has the system got gravity check valve near the pump ?
will be stuck open.

I have just checked the water level in t expansion tank and it was approx 1 inch below the water stain mark in the tank so i have brought it up to the water mark on the tank.

The pump is located below the boiler. one side of the pump is connected to the boiler and there is no valve between the pump and boiler. T other side pipe goes straight up to the first floor ( boiler located on wall in kitchen) i can not c a valve, pipe is concealed.
How big is the check valve

approx 2" long

antibrav1.jpg

Sorry i have had a good look above and below the boiler as pipe from the pump is routed behind the boiler but no sign of the valve.

I have just checked the water level in t expansion tank and it was approx 1 inch below the water stain mark in the tank so i have brought it up to the water mark on the tank.

The pump is located below the boiler. one side of the pump is connected to the boiler and there is no valve between the pump and boiler. T other side pipe goes straight up to the first floor ( boiler located on wall in kitchen) i can not c a valve, pipe is concealed.
So there are only 2 pipes connected to the boiler ? . To have a gravity circuit for domestic hot water there would be 4 pipes- 2 for grav. circuit and 2 for pumped heating ;)

Nige F
I have had another look and there are another 2 pipes connected to the top rear of the boiler as well, still no sign of check valve.

Ok that is going to be serious as i have re furbished the bathroom, new floor tiles etc. could there be another reason?

you could have a point.
as all the ones i've know to jam have been fitted horizontal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back