central heating noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Apollo boiler, 3 port motorised valve (H.W-C.H), cylinder stat and room stat. Heating comes on O.K. from timer,and shuts down when required. However if we require more heating and manually switch on the heating, the boiler ignites, starts banging and shuts down continuously. I have traced this to the pump not receiving any power, consequently the boiler overheats and boils through the vent pipe causing the banging.
Inside the satchwell control/circuit box I found a conection which became live when the CH and or HW is switched on, and have wired the pump to this. This seems to work ok.
Anyone see any problems, or is there a simpler solution

Sponsored Links
Generally the pump should be wired to the same thing the boiler is, so the boiler and pump come on together - so it would be best to trace what the boiler is wired to, and connect the pump there, rather than just guessing at a terminal...

Note that some boilers have a permanent supply and a switched supply, if this is the case it's the switched supply you care about...

Apollo has a pump over run stat that supplies the pump with power during normal operation as well as in over run ,quite a common fault for it to fail intermitently
What you have done is wire out the pump over run , depending on how hot your boiler stat is set you may start tripping the overheat or if its the pilot model the pilot could go out.
The part is only about 20 quid and fits iside the combustion chamber of the boiler so in theory corgi area but only a 15 minute job max

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Its been working ok for a couple of weeks now(I've checked, definitely with no overrun) My CCN1 expired August will have to renew and check overrun stat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back