Central heating not coming on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope someone can help.
Suddenly this morning my central heating has stopped working.
It worked last night.
I have checked the thermostat and is talking to control unit ok.
I have a grundfos alpha pump which has power, but that all it says, it doesn't pump anything through.
I have opened the pump to check it is not jammed and all is clear.
I am at a loss as to what it could be.
Does anyone have any checks I could do to determine the fault.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
System boiler or combi ?
Power to pump dosnt mean its working, any slight vibration or noise at pump ?

Sponsored Links
Impeller stuck, give the pump a tap with a small rubber mallet or toffee hammer, may free it if not new pump.

Spin the impeller with a screw driver and see if it starts - have the heating turned on.

Andy

Spin the impeller with a screw driver and see if it starts - have the heating turned on.

Andy

No acces to the impeller as it is a grundfos alpha 2 which has a digital display on front.
Could a blocked system or air lock in the system.

No acces to the impeller as it is a grundfos alpha 2 which has a digital display on front.
Could a blocked system or air lock in the system course this.

Sorry, but the post from twgas made me chuckle. It's unlikely you've formed an overnight blockage. Air would generally make a lot of noise, pump whining and very hot. Silly question, but does the boiler fire up? If it does, is there a lot of banging?

Sorry, but the post from twgas made me chuckle. It's unlikely you've formed an overnight blockage. Air would generally make a lot of noise, pump whining and very hot. Silly question, but does the boiler fire up? If it does, is there a lot of banging?

Yes, I do have a boiler haha.
There is no hot water or heating, boiler comes on and gets hot.
Lots of knocking this morning as we only had hot water turned on as thougt that was working.
Pump not hot, lukewarm but boiler hot.

I have to say it's quite possible your pump has power, but isn't circulating, as easygas posted. It could possibly be a blockage, but I think this is much less likely. Is it a sealed system?

I have to say it's quite possible your pump has power, but isn't circulating, as easygas posted. It could possibly be a blockage, but I think this is much less likely. Is it a sealed system?

Yes It is a sealed system, nothing circulating round the system. No noise from the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back