Central Heating pipes from boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just seen a program on TV where an 'expert' said that pipe from a boiler should be of the flexible type and easily disconnected.

I have had a combi boiler fitted by British Gas with solid copper pipes.

Could anyone tell me which is correct.

(The program was Watchdog).
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I think you mean the filling loop which is normally a braided silver pipe which according to water regs should be disconnected when not in use....many new boilers now have an internal filling loop to top up the pressure and this exteral pipe is defunct. What boiler do you have?

What they where talking about is the fill-loop it sould be a silver flexible (most are silver ) 15mm hose/pipe that is used for topping up or filling the system but most be disconnected from the boiler again as its a mains water supply. the solid pipes your referring to are/should the system pipe work

The boiler is a Worcester 28CDi. There are 5 copper pipes from/to it out of the bottom. If the pressure drops below 1 there is a tap which we can fit to a point underneath to top it up, (we have not had to do that since it was fitted last December). There is no braided pipe.

Sponsored Links
laurieg said:
The boiler is a Worcester 28CDi. There are 5 copper pipes from/to it out of the bottom. If the pressure drops below 1 there is a tap which we can fit to a point underneath to top it up, (we have not had to do that since it was fitted last December). There is no braided pipe.

No there shouldn't be, it is built in to the boiler....you're fine. What were watchdog talking about by the way?

They were running a report about a company called Powersave and the company that fits for them, Energen. Substand workmanship etc. The independent Engineer Watchdog used reported that the pipes should be of a flexible type, but he did not qualify what he meant.

Have a look here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/home/home_20051018.shtml

Many thanks for the quick replies -You guys are GOOOOOOd:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back