Central Heating Pressure Drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a problem with my central heating system, every day now the pressure drops and i have to keep on topping up the system (both morning and evening).

I\\\'ve checked all the pipes to and from radiators and there is no sign of moisture anywhere. I\\\'ve done a quick scan of pipes in the loft (i live in a bungalow) and there is no sign up there - no damp patches on the ceiling either so i\\\'m thinking it must be below ground.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what else i could try or anything i can check? I\\\'m very new to this whole central heating malarky and not really sure how it all works - although i\\\'m thinking this could be expensive.

Its a relatively new house too, only 6 ish years old.

Thanks in advance...

Kev

P.S. This problem only seems to occur in the winter months when the central heating is on (and by on i mean on its timer - not all the time).

Sponsored Links
Have a look outside. There should be a pipe coming from the boiler to outside. Probably a copper pipe bent downwards.

Have a look to see if its dripping or has a puddle below it. If so, Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) is the likely culprit. Needs to be cleaned/re-newed.

Probably about £25 for a new PRV plus labour. About an hour should do the job.

Have a look outside first.

Check outside for an "overflow" running or dripping. There should be a piece of copper pipe hanging out of the wall at the back of the boiler.

If it isn't runing, stick a container under it (but not obstructing the outlet) and see if it gets anything in it (presuming it isn't raining as hard as last night...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back