Central heating problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved house and am struggling with the central heating system.

We have a British Gas supplied Drayton Digistat SCR receiver and BritGas RC Plus transmitter that link to our Worcester boiler via a timeswitch.

Until yesterday, the heating appeared to work pretty much as expected, although it took a while to understand each of the components, however now the heating doesn't fire when expected. The transmitter's call for heat doesn't trip the receiver into action in any way (no flashing red light and no trigger to the boiler).

Yesterday evening I successfully resynced the transmitter with the receiver and the two seem to see oneanother demonstrated by the 7-second flashing light and further removing and replacing the battery in the transmitter whilst pressing '+' and observing a flashing light on the receiver, however the problem persisits.

Pressing the override switch on the SCR will fire heating, but after a short while the green 'ON' light goes off and I assume the heating stops.

Please help

Sponsored Links
The transmitter is on a wall within the dining room that connects to the utility where the boiler and SCR are situated.

The [battery out \ press + \ battery in] test was carried out yesterday and the receiver flashes happily that it's receiving a connection

Pressing the override switch on the SCR will fire heating, but after a short while the green 'ON' light goes off and I assume the heating stops.

Please help

Have you actually set the room temp on the sender unit?

Tony

Sponsored Links
If I request a temp above the current ambient temperature on the transmitter, the flame (call for heat) icon appears as you'd expect but that doesn't seem to trip the receiver into flicking the boiler on or the 'Heating on' light to operate.

The receiver does not send to the transmitter!

The transmitter sends to the RX when there is a change and about every 10 minutes.

I am not convinced that you have successfully paired them.

They also work best with good batteries like Duracells.

Tony

I understand that the receiver doesn't send to the transmitter... more so the otherway round.

The pairing exercise that I went through was as follows:
System shutdown at the switch (covers boiler, SCR and timeclock)
Batteries out of transmitter
Power up the system
Press override - green light on, boiler fires
Press 1, hold then 2 - red alarm light flashes briefly
New batteries into transmitter whilst standing 2m or so away from receiver
- red light flashes for around 7 secs

Transmitter placed back on the wall, batteries out and back in whilst holding + - receiver flashes while transmitter shows a symbol I cant remember

Batteries back in to the transmitter

Where previously every 10mins or so the alarm light would flash, it no longer does... also concerning, if the override button on the receiver is pressed to bring heat, this has a temporary effect and will after a short while switch back off.

If I remember its the left batteries you have to put back in to promote a longer transmission train of signals.

While thats happening you have to press the two buttons on the receiver unit.

I cannot be clear from what you say if you have done it properly or not!

Tony

Thanks for this, appreciate all your helpful advice.

Can you please clarify "If I remember its the left batteries you have to put back in to promote a longer transmission train of signals."

Within the transmitter there's just two AA batteries to replace that are accessed from a door at the front/bottom of the unit.

Also, the process that I went through to pair the two units followed the instructions for the transmitter and the separate instruction leaflet for the receiver... if you have a different process I'd be very interested to try it.

I have recently moved into a house with a British Gas RC Plus central heating system. The previous owners have not left an instruction manual and despite two visits from British Gas engineers (who also failed to work out how to set this system) I now have the heating on 24/7 or 0/0. I cannot find the manual for this system on line anywhere. What can I do?

Change the batteries fella. Re-syc them but be at least 1.5 to 2m apart when you do.
They like good batteries

Freezinginthecotswolds.... Is it the RC plus you said you have? The digital programmer with the +/- buttons on the right of the screen and it's shaped with rounded corners not square? I can scan the instructions tonight and email them if it's any use?

Freezinginthecotswolds.... Is it the RC plus you said you have? The digital programmer with the +/- buttons on the right of the screen and it's shaped with rounded corners not square? I can scan the instructions tonight and email them if it's any use?

My hero! Yes, it is an RC plus just as you describe. It would be wonderful if you could scan the instructions and email them to me. Thank you so much!

Will get one out the van when I get home and send you it. Don't be daunted by them they are easy. Must have had 2 right biffs sent round, we aren't all like that!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back