central heating project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to embark on building my own central heating system and have a few questions. It will run off my stanley errigal woodburning range. I already have a gravity hot water system, which provides far to much hot water and we want to tap into this. My questions are:

Can I just tee in to the gravity system ant a convenient point?

Can I fit a pump at any point on the heating circuit?

And though I wont go up and down too much am I right to assume that with a pumped system you can do so?

What type of pipe would people recommend? and what guage? as some people are telling me to use copper, others plastic etc. etc.

thanks very much in advance

Sponsored Links
Are the errigals not dry cookers for coking only ?.
Get yourself hold of a good Hetas approved installer. Their website lists quite a few !.
Sound like you will have a few modifications to make.

No, the errigal I have came out of a house where it was powering 11 rads

I'm about to embark on building my own central heating system and have a few questions. It will run off my stanley errigal woodburning range. I already have a gravity hot water system, which provides far to much hot water and we want to tap into this. My questions are:

Can I just tee in to the gravity system ant a convenient point?
No you will be far better off keeping the hot water on gravity and introducing a pumped heating circuit using an injector tee on the return

Can I fit a pump at any point on the heating circuit?
Again no, you must consider the position of cold feed and vent and take into account the above point also

And though I wont go up and down too much am I right to assume that with a pumped system you can do so?
Assuming you are talking about the routing of pipework, yes the pump is capable of sending water 'up and down' vertical pipework.

What type of pipe would people recommend? and what guage? as some people are telling me to use copper, others plastic etc. etc.
For the heating circuit 22m and 15mm as needed depending on heat load. Anything on the gravity hot water side must be 28mm. Stick with copper as the heat from solid fuel is far less controllable than gas/oil so materials must be able to cope with temperatures up to 110oC.

thanks very much in advance

Be very careful in what you do and make sure you do it right, messing around with a solid fuel system could be very dangerous and costly to put right. If in doubt get a suitable engineer in to advise or carry ut the work!!!

HTH Sam

Sponsored Links

Sounds like something out of a Sky 332 channel film.

A pumped system can go anywhere as long as its within the pipe resistance that the pump can overcome.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back