Central heating pump not been used in a year?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a npower gas man round, to look at boiler and give me options on a new one, my current one works fine but was condemmed last year due to a small hole in the top casing. Anyway he quoted me £3000 for a new one, this includes a new pump he says i will require as it hasnt been used with a year, could this be the case, or is he trying to pull a fast one, I think this is very steep and the fact my current one only needs new casing (this part isnt being made anymore) can anyone give me a idea on how much il need to pay? cheers

Sponsored Links
The pump could probably be got to work, see FAQ.

However, replacing it with a new boiler seems reasonable to me.

Any of the big firms will be charging you mega prices.

A good independent will charge about £1600 to supply and fit a good boiler.

If you said which boiler model you have now then it may be possible to find a used one but these must be fitted by a registered engineer.

Tony

Cheers

The current boiler is a Potterton prima 30f, anyone know of a good place that does boiler spare?

You will not get a new one but they are often sold used on Ebay.

£20-£60 would get one but you might have to wait a while for one in your area if you are not in a large city.

You could also call local installers to give your details in case they take one out.

Tony

Sponsored Links
There is a Potterton Prima 40f being sold on Ebay at the moment - ends tonight. Item no is 120739455568. I know yours is a 30f but casings may well be the same so worth some quick research to see if they are.

Admittedly its in Cheltenham but if it was the case of a trip from Nottingham to Cheltenham to save between £1600 and £3000 in return for £50 of fuel I would get in the car!! Especially as the rest could go back on Ebay.

As an alternative have you thought about getting the existing cover repaired?

As far as I know all the cases are the same!

A friend repairs cases with car body fibreglass or glueing a metal plate. ( pop riviting would be better ).

I would never do that though except just possibly as a temporary measure when I had already been paid for the new one.

Tony

A good independent will charge about £1600 to supply and fit a good boiler.

How do you know? You've no idea of the infra structure. Is the current location suitable. Are there TRV's?

So how can you say ot should cost £1333.33 +VAT?

Having said that, OP, £3k is on the higher side.

OP, with regard to the pump, it costs less than £100 for a new one with valves. If it is fairly old anyway, I would have been inclined to include a new one. The potential time taken to make sure the old one is ok can outweigh the cost of a new one, and it is even worse if you DO have to change it anyway.

There is a Potterton Prima 40f being sold on Ebay at the moment - ends tonight. Item no is 120739455568. I know yours is a 30f but casings may well be the same so worth some quick research to see if they are.

Admittedly its in Cheltenham but if it was the case of a trip from Nottingham to Cheltenham to save between £1600 and £3000 in return for £50 of fuel I would get in the car!! Especially as the rest could go back on Ebay.

As an alternative have you thought about getting the existing cover repaired?

This boiler is exactly the same, thanks, i may get this one fitted instead, how much do you reckon it will cost me to get fitted and up and running legally?

Thanks again

I'll replace the boiler. I fully expect to be able to beat his price by a minimum of £500. I can run down and give you a quote over the weekend and
replace the boiler next week assuming you are in Nottingham.

Check out my website www.yhac.net

No i mean no-one can legally fit the prima boiler due to efficiency rules. Thats not to say someone wouldnt fit it mind :D

If the new case is in good condition then I would fit it for someone in my local area at our standard diagnostic fee to include a service.

What they mean is that to remove your boiler and install an old one of thre same type does not meet current regulations. In any case if the casing is the only fault then thats all thats needed.

I only work in London and the Midlands but would only need to add £50 extra if the customer was to provide DB&B to fit a new boiler in the Notts area or £120 if needing an hotel accommodation.

Tony

This boiler is exactly the same, thanks

Did you buy it as I see it sold with 1 bid?

Also just to clarify AFAIK your existing boiler can be repaired to your hearts content with no issues. The problem comes if you were to remove and reinstall a different boiler as that would be classed as a new installation. In this scenario it would then be covered by current legislation which would force you to have a condensing boiler, making fitting the Ebay one illegal (unless of course you know of a freindly gas safe registered engineer!)

This boiler is exactly the same, thanks

Did you buy it as I see it sold with 1 bid?

Also just to clarify AFAIK your existing boiler can be repaired to your hearts content with no issues. The problem comes if you were to remove and reinstall a different boiler as that would be classed as a new installation. In this scenario it would then be covered by current legislation which would force you to have a condensing boiler, making fitting the Ebay one illegal (unless of course you know of a freindly gas safe registered engineer!)

Yea i bought it, I will be picking it up on sunday thanks, if it is illegal to replace the whole boiler, i will just relace the casing and then keep the rest of the boiler just in case any other parts are needed,

If i replace the casing can i then get someone to get up andrunning again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back