Central Heating Sludge...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Recently experienced problems with my conventional boiler (Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15ri) and central heating. Some background:

When on HW only, it would take around 60-90 mins to get from a completely cold cylinder to a hot cylinder. I think the cylinder has a capacity around 180 litres.

When on CH only, after a couple of hours only the loft and 1st floor radiators would get hot/warm. The ground floor radiators would not get even warm, and the feed pipe to these radiators are cold (I suspected some sort of blockage or sludge build up).

I avoid having both HW+CH on at the same time, as it takes 3-4 hours for the cylinder to get hot, and the 1st floor & loft radiator only get midly warm.

I called a heating engineer, and he agreed my diagnosis of blockage/sludge and drained and flushed the system and cleaned out the F+E tank. As the water was been drained and flushed much of it was dark brown/red colour but also sometimes turned black.

He suspected there was also a problem with the diverter valve, and when this was replaced, I noticed that there was a lot of sludge in the valve (see pictures). I'm guessing it's safe to assume the rest of the pipework will be in a similar state?

Unfortunately none of this cleared the problem of the ground floor radiators being cold, though the heating engineer, added some CH system cleaner so we will see if that improves things.

However wanted to hear if anyone had any other ideas or thoughts? based on the pictures, is there anything else worth trying?

Sponsored Links
Red sludge like this is caused by air ingress. You need to find out where this air is coming from. Pumping over is the most common cause. Post a pic of your pump, feed and vent configuration

Trace the cold feed pipe from the feed and expansion tank to where it tees into main pipes ( probably on cylinder return )
Then touch copper pipe with a magnet if it sticks you have sludge there.
If that's the case cut out and reconfigure the cold feed and open vent and pump properly ( get someone in).

Sponsored Links
Thanks, pic of my configuration below.

The over pumping as the cause of the red sludge, sounds correct, as many years ago (10+) we did notice a problem with water noise and steam going into the F+E tank. I just checked, as our system has been on all day, and the overflow pipe going into the F+E tank is cold, so guessing that's a good sign.

The CH pipework and radiators haven't had any maintenance for over 20+ years, though the Worcester Bosch boiler was put in 5-6 years ago (don't recall if the system was flushed at that time, probably not).

In the picture I believe the cold feed pipe is the one coming down from the top left. Magnet does not stick where it tees into the main pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back