sludge in a radiator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys.
Does the sludge build up in a radiator stop it getting hot?
One of our radiators does not get hot, we had new pipework, valves and a new boiler fitted this summer, but we didnt replace the radiators, we have not really used the system yet, all the radiators are balanced and bled, the problem one has a fully open valve, but tonight we put the heating on for a short time and the rad doesnt get hot at all, can it be full of sludge, and would it stop it from getting any heat at all? i cant imagine sludge stopping the rad getting red hot, but not any heat at all.
Thanks in advance
***UPDATE******
problem resolved, please go to end of thread

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sludge in a radiator will eventually result in only the top getting hot.
Sludge can also block pipes and valves which will stop any hot water flowing.

Was the system cleaned before the new boiler was installed?

Sludge in a radiator will eventually result in only the top getting hot.
Sludge can also block pipes and valves which will stop any hot water flowing.

Was the system cleaned before the new boiler was installed?
we have had all the pipework replaced as well as the boiler, all the old copper was taken out and replaced with plastic, but we just left the rads in place, but there is no heat in the rad at all
thanks for the reply Flameport

Sponsored Links
banjodeano, good evening.

Can you re-call the gas fitter?

Ken
Thanks Ken...
yeah, he is coming out to a bathroom job in a couple of weeks, so its no big deal. i thought if it was just sludge i could do take off the rad and flush it myself, but i cant imagine how sludge could stop any heat getting to the rad, i will have to wait and see what he says, i was just trying to learn a little along the way mate, thanks for the input.

banjodeano, hi again.

OK they should have fitted a "magnetic filter" which will over time protect the boiler, historically boilers have been killed by sludge mainly metalic bits and pieces [RUST]

Sludge as above will totally block up a rad or indeed a system.

A word of caution? if you do remove and flush the offending rad, be careful the sludge will permantly mark any surface it hits if it spills out, carpets, floors, laminate whatever.

There are flushing compounds that can be introduced to the entire system and will assist in sludge removal.

Ken

banjodeano, hi again.

OK they should have fitted a "magnetic filter" which will over time protect the boiler, historically boilers have been killed by sludge mainly metalic bits and pieces [RUST]

Sludge as above will totally block up a rad or indeed a system.

A word of caution? if you do remove and flush the offending rad, be careful the sludge will permantly mark any surface it hits if it spills out, carpets, floors, laminate whatever.

There are flushing compounds that can be introduced to the entire system and will assist in sludge removal.

Ken
Hiya Ken..
yeah they fitted a filter, they did everything except replace the rads, i will just leave it up to them when they come....the funny thing is, this rad never got very hot before the new boiler and pipework was replaced, so perhaps its just sludged up....thanks for your input

do you know how to open the filter and remove the sludge it has caught? If not, post a photo and someone will recognise it. Depending on how long since it was last emptied, the amount may be informative. You can scrape it into a jamjar if you want.

As Ken says, you can add a DIY chemical to loosen existing dirt so it circulates round and can be caught by the filter, but if you are seeing the installer, discuss it with him first. As a householder I find it very cheap, easy and effective.

If you turn off every rad except the cold one, it's possible that the pump will manage to circulate through it. If it has a TRV, satisfy yourself that it is not jammed shut (this is common)

they should have fitted a "magnetic filter" which will over time protect the boiler, historically boilers have been killed by sludge mainly metalic bits and pieces [RUST]

Ken, would you care to recommend a filter setup as I want to fit one to my system. Thanks.

garyo, good evening.

Sorry to disappoint you but? I am on the wrong side of the fence to offer any guidance on this. OK I know about them and what they are supposed to do, but? as I do not fit them I am sorry but I cannot suggest the one that is best.

Ken

If it’s only one radiator check the TRV isn’t stuck

garyo, good evening.

Sorry to disappoint you but? I am on the wrong side of the fence to offer any guidance on this. OK I know about them and what they are supposed to do, but? as I do not fit them I am sorry but I cannot suggest the one that is best.

Ken

Ah right - cheers Ken.

after all that work , esp plastic fittins,they didnt pull the rads an hose them out?
someone was havin a laugh

after all that work , esp plastic fittins,they didnt pull the rads an hose them out?
someone was havin a laugh
yeah it does seem a little odd, but i have used him a few times and always been very good, he is on holls at the moment, so i will see what he says when he comes back and has a look, new boiler, pipework, trv valves and, filters, were all fitted less than six month ago and never used till now, we have only just put the heating on, but it is odd because this one rad that doesnt get hot, didnt really work before either, but the original pipework went all over the place, going from single to double system at will, now it has been re piped in plastic to where it should go, i cant understand why it doesnt get warm, the pipe gets red hot up to the open valve, then does not go up the radiator, (its been bled) anyway, I i will wait till he comes back, its not really my problem, i was just going to flush rad out and see if it clears it, but why should i mess with it lol

One of the problems is that yes the contractor cah "power Flush" an individual rad or parts of the entire system.

But??

In discussion with a few gas Safe guys, I understand the cost of the flushing equipment is very high, hence very few contractors especially a one man operation cannot afford the kit, and to of-set the cost of the kit the cost to the end user is high?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back