central heating system questions

"hi guys. complete amateur here"
Can I compliment all those who have contributed to this very interesting thread. A "complete amateur" posts a detailed query onto a DIY forum, and his query generates extremely helpful and sound advice. That's how it should be, for the many people, like me, who look to this source for impartial, knowledgeable, and unbiased help. Well done. Oh that every query, on this forum, was treated in such a courteous and helpful way, without the nastiness and arrogance which, unfortunately, seems to appear too often.

Sponsored Links
just an airlock mate, turn both zone valves to manual then switch system on. leave running for a little while to clear air. after that switch system off close valves to auto setting then try again. :eek:

thanks. isn't this what happens when both DHW and the heating are on? it will run, even for a couple of hours with both valves open, then when they both close again after a short time it goes off.

I'll give it a go anyway, ta :)

I agree with the above post too! thanks everyone!

anyone got any ideas about the Aerjec plumbing?

Ignore the arrows on the aerjec - they point to the recommended setup, however from memory (and without checking the van library) there are alternative ways of connecting the device up.
According to the Manufacturer's Literature There are two/three possible ways of connecting the Airjec (diagrams 4 and 5). BES also show an arrangement where the Aerjec is oriented as the OP's picture with the vent coming out of the top and the cold feed going into the side.

As I have an Aerjec, I did some internet digging and managed to find the patent, granted in 1978. According to that, the orientation is critical. i.e the end plates have to be vertical and the pipes connected as in the mfrs diagrams. The BES third suggestion, end plates horizontal, is no good.

If anyone is interested it's US Patent No 4,078,723. I couldn't locate the British patent.

if u don't have the valves open maually when refilling the system it creates airlocks. opening the valves manually then running the system clears these airlocks! :D

Sponsored Links
thought so - basically its wrong isnt it! doh!!

ill get that changed then! today i manually left the DHW open - no prblems all day! got to be a pressure issue!!!

Thanks for that big beak07, I'll try it, see what happens :)

Ignore the arrows on the aerjec - they point to the recommended setup, however from memory (and without checking the van library) there are alternative ways of connecting the device up.
According to the Manufacturer's Literature There are two/three possible ways of connecting the Airjec (diagrams 4 and 5). BES also show an arrangement where the Aerjec is oriented as the OP's picture with the vent coming out of the top and the cold feed going into the side.

As I have an Aerjec, I did some internet digging and managed to find the patent, granted in 1978. According to that, the orientation is critical. i.e the end plates have to be vertical and the pipes connected as in the mfrs diagrams. The BES third suggestion, end plates horizontal, is no good.

If anyone is interested it's US Patent No 4,078,723. I couldn't locate the British patent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back