Central heating thermostat not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a brief power cut yesterday we woke up to find we have no central heating. The boiler is working fine, but the thermostat in the hall had a red light flashing on the wireless symbol in bottom left and was only showing desired temperature with the lower part of display showing actual temperature blank. I thought it might be a battery problem and put in new batteries and pressed reset button but now whole display is flashing and it is not calling for heat properly. Any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
post a pic of the thermostat and the receiver, there are loads of them all different

upload_2020-10-13_13-16-35.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops sorry I didn’t mean to post multiple pics. Nothing is working right today

Sponsored Links
It is saying that the heating is on ? have you definately fitted the batteries the correct way round in the thermostat < a power outage wouldnt affect the thermostat in any way , it could affect the receiver, but that seems to be on

I’m sorry I don’t understand the question. Is what saying the central heating is on?

The light that is normally on in the bottom left on the Black screen (opposite the hot water tap on the right) is not on now so I suppose that means the central heating isn’t on although it is scheduled to be on now

OK sorry, havent seen your units before, some units you have to insert replacement batteries in a certain order, do you know the make and model ? there might be a sticker where you replaced the batteries

I can’t do what that string suggests because there isn’t a top button or a light on the thing with the black screen that I assumed was the receiver. I did switch that off and on and the only thing that changed was the central heating light cane on on the bottom left but the thermostat is still just blinking great bands in the screen where you normally see the temperatures

no the string says switch the supply power off, the switch with the red neon light next to the receiver, then put back on and hold the reset button above the batteries on the thermostat for 5 seconds then release , the reset button is the small rubber button marked RST

Ok Thank you. I have done that and the thermostat is flashing a lot more grey bands (which is different) but so far not showing any temperatures and the heating light has disappeared from the programmer. One step forward and one backward perhaps?

To reset it take the batteries out.
Turn the power off to the receiver.
Turn the power back on and press the button on the receiver for about 10 seconds until the top light starts flashing.
Put the batteries back in the thermostat.
After a short while the top light on the receiver should turn green and the thermostat's display should show the current temperature and set temperature.

Try that in exactly that order

But there is no button on the thing I keep turning on and off. I think it might be called a Programmer not a receiver, but I cannot see another box which might be a receiver anywhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back