central heating thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a mechanical room thermostat which has only 3 wires at back [ 2+ earth]. Would like to replace it as it seems to not cut off at desired temp and when manually turned down 'below click' allows the room to get very cold and will not come back on. Most digital stats seem to require 3wires +earth. Would appreciate advice.

Sponsored Links
i can vouch for the dt200, its accurate and easy to install. screwfix have them instock for about 24 quid if i remember. my first room stat i bought was mechanical, it was 3 degrees wrong...and never seemed to switch

Have a mechanical room thermostat which has only 3 wires at back [ 2+ earth].
Are you sure that the "earth wire" is being used as an earth? Many mechanical stats need three wires: Live, Neutral and Switched Live. It is not unknown for the "earth" wire to be used as the Switched Live.

Modern Digital stats, e.g Honeywell DT200, only have two wires: Live and Switched Live.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who replied to my query on room stat. Been a great help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back