Ceramic floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a conservatory build and would like to install a ceramic tile floor. The conservatory itself is 3.4m x 3.3m (almost Square) and the tiles I have chosen are 445mm x 445mm. I would like to lay these in a diamond pattern does anyone have any tips?

I have read up a little about this, some seem to say "mark the floor out with chalk etc", but surely if the floor is marked with anything as soon as the adhesive is applied to the floor the marks are covered over!

Any advise/experience please?

Regards

Lozza

Sponsored Links
you need to work out the best fit for the tiles first. Find the centrepoint of the room and mark out a cross in on it through both axis (a chalk line is the easiest tool to do this with). then lay your tiles out to see how they fit in both directions and to make sure you have enough left at each end so you dont get fiddley little cuts. Once your happy with that and ready to start laying the tiles get a nice long straight length of timber. you need to run this parrallel half a tiles distance to the line you are working on. secure it to the floor using nails, a heavy weight at each end etc etc. The batten is now your guide to ensure you get a straight run of tiles. You can now tile along it with the point of the tile touching it. Just spread the adhesive up to the batten, and with practice you will be able to spread it quite accuratley. just keep working the batten over as a guide and you should have staright tiles laid on the floor.
Hope it makes sense.

I do it like thermo but set the batten at the same angle as the tiles, that way you are aligning a full edge against the batten which is easier to keep the tiles straight.

You will either need a very large manual tile cutter or an electric one as a cornrr to corner cut will be over 600mm long.
Even with a large manual cutter it will take a lot of effort to snap the tile.

Also make sure you use an adhesive suitable for large format tiles and that is made for porcelain tiles. Have you got underfloor heating? if so then this needs to be taken into account.

Jason

Guys,

Many thanks for the tips, and no I haven't got underfloor heating.

Lozza

Sponsored Links
Jason,

You mentioned the adhesive, what do you recommend is best? I was going to get some Unibond rapid set waterproof from B&Q, do you think that will be OK?

Regards

Lozza

your best bet is to go to a decent tile shop, they will advise you with regards to the surface you are laying the tiles on. Rapid set would be ok, but if you are in experainced with laying tiles, you will have less time to get it right! I always go for the type you have to mix yourself and usually one made by BAL.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back