CH Cleanser - Can't get it in the radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have had a few problems with our radiators recently and someone suggested sludge blocking the pipes etc, because they do not warm up quick enough. Sometimes the rads take an hour or two to warm up.

So I went and bought two bottles of Kilrock Central Heating Cleanser. The guy at B&Q recommended I put in two bottles and let it circulate until beginning of Feb 05, then to flush it out and put some other stuff in.

Problem I have is getting the damn stuff into my radiators. The majority of my radiatiors are double finned, each with a plug at the top right. The plug is square, about 5mm in size, and used to bleed the system for air.

Upon removal I have discovered it's virtually impossible to stick any type of pipe into the hole because it's so small. On the back of the bottle it keeps refering to a 1/2" BSP top plug, yet I don't see a plug this size. (My only thought is that it's refering to a different type of radiator)...

Any ideas as to how I can get this cleanser into my radiators. I have even tried removing on of the big nuts at the bottom of the rad, which joins everything to one of the pipes, this just caused a helleva big mess, because the pipe was full of water. Doh! :oops:

Any help really would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is it a combi boiler system ?
You should have 2 chrome nuts either side of rad near the top. Undo the one without the bleed screw (after draining down of course) and purchase a male iron elbow which you now screw into the rad. With the elbow pointing up you can now attach a funnel in the 15mm end. pour in and refill.
If open vented tie up ball valve, drain a few litres out of system and pour in. Refill ,job done :)

Lol, good on you for being honest. I've been plumbing for five years and I still seem to curse a lot. :mad:

Before advising,

tell us if your system is sealed (e.g. combi boiler or other boiler with a pressure gauge on it).?

Or is there a header tank in the loft ?

Sponsored Links
brumylad said:
Lol, good on you for being honest. I've been plumbing for five years and I still seem to curse a lot. :mad:

Before advising,

tell us if your system is sealed (e.g. combi boiler or other boiler with a pressure gauge on it).?

Or is there a header tank in the loft ?

not just me then wait till you get to thirty years it dont get any better :evil:

I keep trying different strategies, tee into pipe further away so things not so tight, plan out the runs on paper first etc. standard ways of doing things, but every property is different its like every job is unique, I guess its a tough job end of story.

Bahco:

It's a combi boiler. The two chrome nuts you refer too... I don't see them at the top of the radiator, or on each side of the radiator. The radiator has two parts, and each has a bleed screw on the top right hand side. There is nothing on the left side.

The male iron elbow (which I will buy from B&Q), do I screw it into the place where the bleed screw would go? The bleed screw is only 5mm thick, this elbow is going to be bloody thin.

Brumylad:

It's a combi-boiler with a pressure gauge. There is no header tank in the loft.

Kevplump:

You'll have to speak "Dummie Plumbing" to me. Setlrads - What is that? Where would I get this cartridge you speak of? Would a syringe not do it? (I was trying a straw last night, and even that battled to squeeze into the rad.

You must have rads I have never seen before :eek:
Choose an upstairs rad and drain the drop below so emptying this rad,(you will need to open the bleed valve)
Take off rad leaving the valves still connected to it by unscrewing the nut on the pipe.
You can now insert a funnel and pour your fluid in, but make sure you have closed the drain valve.
Refit and refill.

Forget the straw method :!: :LOL:

Bahco,

Oh! yes, I think these rads are from another planet. (Ha Ha). I might just take a photo of them and put them on here tonight. To give you an idea of what I am talking about.

You mean take the radiator off completely. Ok! :eek: - Is this a weekend job or something I can do tonight?

Are you suggesting putting the stuff into the pipe instead of the radiator (That makes sense), then reconnecting the radiator, and starting the system up.

Bahco, I do appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Don't suppose you have a towel rail? Usually the easiest way in and highest in system. Rads sound like a standard role top with bleep screw which often leak like fek. You could always make someone on here happy and pay £250 to £250,000 for a power flush!!!!!!!

Powerflush! - Yes I have heard of that. But, who is to know if that is needed or not? I want to try this first, and if it does the job, then I have saved £250, towards my new boiler..... Which I want to get because I believe my boiler is not energy efficient.

Yes, I do believe in calling in the professionals if the need arises.

No, do not have a towel rack rad... Would be nice though. I don't know what the radiators are called, but to be honest I think they are really old, because I haven't seen them anywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back