CH controls not controlling boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CH controls don't have any effect on the system. With thermostat set to minimum and programmer control set to off, my boiler starts up every half hour or so. It seems to heat the water up to the temperature determined by the boilers own thermostat and then switch off till it feels it needs to heat the system water again. I've tested this by increasing the boilers own thermostat and the boiler immediately fires up. The water is distributed to radiators and water tank, so the house is too warm and energy is wasted.

I've changed the Honeywell dial room thermostat and the ST6400c to a 9400c programmer on a like for like basis and this has had no effect.

There are a couple of Honeywell motorised valves next to the tank. When moving these valves manually there is no spring effect. Should there be? There was on my last different system with very different looking valves which I had to replace in my last home. Also there is a Honeywell 10 way junction box here. Fuse? I can't see a pump anywhere. Is it within the boiler or doesn't this system need one?

The boiler is an Ideal Icos HE24.

Any suggestions to get the system responding to the controls again appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Is it likely they'd both fail at the same time or could that point to another problem somewhere? The little levers on both of them move freely, no spring action, no pressure needed to move them manually. They're wired into that Honeywell junction box - would this happen if the fuse in the box had blown?

As stated above the valve(s) are stuck. You need to isolate the power remove the actuators and see if you can manually move the valve.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back