CH Pump always on, Boiler constantly burning? Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Guys,

Firstly I'm a bit of a dunce with most matters CH, its not my forte. I moved into this house 3 months ago, so this is the first time I have needed to use this Heating system

From what I can see I have an old Back Boiler, Cold water tank in the loft, Hot water tank in Main bedroom cupboard in this cupboard is also a pump and 2 motorised valves and a thermostat in the hall.

No problem with the boiler starting and producing heat, if fact it works very well, however I cannot get it to turn off! The thermostat clicks round (at 25 c at the mo!!!) but that makes no difference to the boiler it just keeps producing heat for the rads. The HW tank seems ok thermostat on that is set to 60 and is properly posistioned. I experimented last night and switched all the control timers off. The boiler still fired up (even though the thermostat was set to 10 in the hall.)

I found some downloadable technical documents for my boiler as I noticed an odd white box next to the boiler with wires going into it. Its an E.Man energy manager with a knob for energy saving setting Min Med Max and a switch to flick for bypass. The boiler only works when the switch is set to bypass when it is was set to on last night during my test the boiler never fired but the pump ran all night. The cables from this box run directly to the boiler thermostat switch as far as i can tell from the diagrams.

Can anyone offer me any guidance on what to check for I can get hold of a multimeter to check voltages and switchs but need to know what to check for!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I dont think anyone is going to be able to give you any useful advice.

Its not even clear if your boiler thermostat is working from what you have said or exactly what your problem really is.

The only suggestions I can make is that what you have actually said implies the boiler thermostat is not working and a motor valve is sending a constant call for heat. I doubt thats really whats happening.

You need a competent engineer to examine your system and identify and diagnose any defects.

Tony

I have lowered the boiler thermostat once it has been running for an hour and the boiler shuts down for a period but does start up again a little while later. Wall thermostat has no effect on the whole process and lever on one of the valves does nothing, the other valve can be closed but opens itself again.

I don't know if this sheds anymore light on the situation. I know I will need to get in some professional assistance but I just need to know what to prepare myself for! :(

Microswitch in one of your motorised valves is sticking , which is keeping a live supply to boiler and pump.

EDIT . Probably one with arm not moving properly.. turn power off and emove the cover and have a look

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back