Challenge of the year............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy Everybody, here is the challenge.........
My open vented system has a potterton flamingo boiler about 17 years old, brand new motorised valve, brand new pump.
The symptoms which have been getting proggressively worse over recent months are kettling sound from the boiler, longer flame off time than on, ie cycling on boiler thermostat, downstairs radiators getting cooler and cooler. Oh and her indoors temper getting hotter and hotter........
The system is old, about 20 years or more, however I have replaced most radiators in the last few years whilst decorating, I have never seen any build up of sludge or limescale. Since the problems got so bad, I put some sludge remover in the system, left it a week, and then drained down. I have now refilled and it's all so much worse. I think that heat is getting upstairs to the hot water tank, which is where the pump is by convection only, I cannot get heat to go to CH or HW, even when I fully open the bypass valve situated just after the pump, it doesnt get hot. It's just like the water is stationery. My only conclusion is that there must be a blockage and this is likely to be in the heat exchanger, which I am intending to dismantle this weekend and de scale if nessassary. I have not at this stage drained the HE and have no idea what its like in there. I would add that the water feed is ok with good pressure to bleed rads etc. Any ideas please..........

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back