Chamber full of water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a >5 year old Warmflow Cabin Pack boiler (oil) which repeatedly fills with water in the combustion chamber.

This was discovered last winter after heating had been off most of the summer; wouldnt fire up, loosened motor unit and water gushed out of the chamber.

I drained it as best I could and next day (perhaps after it dried out?) it fired up and worked ok all winter.

Exact same scenario this year - full of water and about 2 inches deep of rust. Warmflow engineer came out, insists its rainwater getting down the flue (it is an external flue with storm cap and I have sealed up the joints following last years discovery!).

Paid £150 forwork + new parts (including 2 baffle plates which were corroded) - advice given by warmflow is to run boiler throughout year (1/2 hour x2 a day) to ensure no 'rain water' gathers.

I suspect that there is a leak somewhere internally and they are simply trying to avoid fixing/replacing it (it is under warrenty until the end of this month).

Question is, is it common that so much water can get down a flue if the boiler isnt firing for say, 5 months in a year (it is wet here, but not that bad!?)??

SORRY for the long post but any help would be much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Why can you not run it for a short while each week to help keep it dry?

How do you heat the hot water?

Do you have a sealed system or an open vented one?

There is always a remote possibility that you have a leak into the boiler and with an open system that would be topped up without you knowing about it!

Tony

Is it a condensing boiler? If so, where is the condense drain plumbed in to?

Is it a condensing boiler? If so, where is the condense drain plumbed in to?

Sponsored Links
If your not using the boiler drain it if the water appears then its from an external source, if it fills only when the boiler/ system is full then its a good chance that the boiler is leaking, i've had one of these in the past where the boiler was pin holed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back