Changing career proving difficult!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people,

I thought I would share with you my situation at present to see what you think about it and if you have any bright ideas on how to resolve it?

I am 26 and have just decided that Sales is a load of Bo**ox and subsequently the thing I really love and want to do professionally is become a carpenter/joiner.

Now at 26 I am too old to do any of the apprentice schemes as I cannot get funding and neither can a business that employs me! Great :mad:(

So I have got my C.S.C.S Card and need a route into the industry where I can get some experience and learn my skills properly. I have done some carpentry before and know about angles and how to cut a bit of wood so I'm not without my uses. However without the City and Guilds Qualification I am really struggling to get past the old "Needs to be fully experienced and time served" Chestnut!

I am starting a course in Carpentry and Joinery in Oct at the Leeds College of Building, but it is not the full City and Guilds, but rather the ASET certificate, which is more of a thorough introduction.

So does anyone in the industry of past or present have any fantastic ideas on how to get around this? Or would anyone in Leeds area like to offer me some work?!! (That would be nice!)

Is there anyone else in my position too?

Look forward to hearing some great ideas from the Ether!

All the best

Rich :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Cheers mate,

I have read this topic and it is ok but doesn't really help with the whole catch-22 problem.

I guess I will just keep looking and asking about. I really think though that we need to make the LSC/Government/everybody else who deals with this sort of thing more aware of the trap that is being created in the country.

I mean we're short on tradesmen? So extend the funding of apprenticeships to cover everyone! Then leave it to the companies to decide who they take on.

What does everyone else think?

I'm 25, just started a plumbing apprenticeship with my local council. Luckily they get funding from government schemes for all apprentices regardless of age.
You might want to approach your local council or large firms which would be able to afford to take you on.

I have to work in a supermarket in the evening and nights at weekends, i'm constantly cream crackered but it has to be done to cover the mortgage and other bills.
I hate working there as I did it as a kid just out of school. Going back to a menial job like that was soul destroying but I know it'll be worth it.

I did my first year in college off my own back. At least when approaching plumbers I had a basic knowledge of the job and i'll be qualified quicker than a kid fresh out of school.

It's doable, you just have to want it badly enough to do what it takes.
I'd advise going the college route, it not only demonstrates that you are determined but also shows you are self directed in your learning and don't need hand holding.

Sponsored Links
Carpenters used to cut and pitch roofs etc. ....Now hammer hands stack a row of trusses......Joiners used to fabricate windows etc. ......Now a dickhead balding geezer on TV sells you plastic ones :rolleyes: Leave the building to the Poles and lituanusians :LOL:

Back