Changing fuses for RCDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
At present the main fuse board for the house contains the old type of sockets in which are housed large fuses similar to the one's found in plugs.

I would like to replace them with more modern circuit breakers.

My question is; can I buy circuit breakers/RCDs that will simply plug into existing sockets on the circuit board? Or will I have to have the entire board replaced?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Dave

Sponsored Links
You can buy plug in MCBs that will go in the slots your fuses currently go in, but not RCDs as far as I am aware. In general, with a fuse board of that age it is best to get it replaced, and before doing so have a PIR (periodic inspection report) done, as it will identify if there is anything else that needs replacing (which can be quite common with older installations)...

Doesn't that assume that he has a Wylex CU? I'm not aware that these are available for any other make (not that it's a bad bet though :) ) and I may be wrong, of course.

As always, a piccy of your CU is worth a thousand words.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back