Changing Gas Hob To Ceramic Hob??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of fitting a new kitchen and it's at the stage to decide about the hob. Currently there is a gas hob fitted. What would be the easiest and cheapest thing to do, change the current gas hob to a new one, or have the gas hob removed and fit a ceramic hob? I can do the fitting of a ceramic hob myself but I can't mess with the gas, and have had a quote of £80 to take the old one out and fit a new one, that to me is a rip off! Any comments please?!!

Sponsored Links
Well I would do it myself.
Do you need a supply for the electric hob?

I'd stick with gas - the running costs are about half what an electric one would cost and is more controllable.
I fit my own gas hob a few weeks ago and nothing's blown up yet. :D If you're unsure about the gas work, get someone in - don't muck about with it.
£80 might seem like a lot, but once you take into consideration all the overheads - training, vehicle, insurance etc etc etc then it starts to sound ok. Also trying to fit plenty of small jobs in in a day is a nightmare so you have to allow for that. You have to allow extra expense due to your location too.

£80 seems very reasonable given he may have to move pipework around if the current is not suited to the new unit.

Sponsored Links
Correct me if i am wrong but wont the gas man have to make two visits, one to disconnect and another to connect when new worktop is in place ,will he also have to cut the hole in the new worktop ?? If so then £80 is very cheap.
I used to have gas and went for a ceramic hob found it no where near as controlable and after 3 years the most used hot plate no longer has the shiney smooth look, will def go back to gas with next new kitchen.

Sandford - gas work means it MUST be carried out by a competent person, namely Corgi approved. Failure to do so is illegal and will also invalidate your household insurance if anything goes wrong.

The regulations are concerned with connections; you can cut the worktop and fit the hob but can't do the connection to the gas supply. £80 is a fair price.

Stick with gas. Others have posted why you shouldn't get a ceramic; yes they do look nice when new but do distress easily and are a b to maintain.

Thanks for the replies. Ok, I'll stick with the gas hob then. The gas man will simply need to remove the old hob, I'll slip in the pre-cut worktop and he can then connect up the new one.

One more question though! The pipe work from the current gas hob has a 'knob' that turns off the gas supply just to the hob. Can I rely on that to be 100% effective, use a pipe cutter just below the connection to the hob and remove it myself? Then Mr Corgi just has to fix up the pipework to the new one.

Sandford - so long as the gas cock is a decent make (manufactured to the appropriate BS and /or BG approved) and in decent condition then it should be fit for purpose. If you're lucky your cock (sorry) will be a compression fitting allowing the hob side to be disconnected easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back