Changing heating system...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted on here a long time back about the horrific cost of my LPG heating.

Now I’ve had the cavity walls insulated, and have eventually seen a whole year cycle, it doesn’t seem to bad in comparison with friends running heating oil, or my parents place running on economy 7.

The current set up is a glowworm lpg fire and boiler sat in the chimney breast.

After renovating my house, the fireplace is dated and ugly, knowing it would eventually be changed, but was liveable at the time, and have eventually come to the point where I’d like to change it!

What I’d like to do is install a modern stove, something along the lines of a firebelly stove, possibly with a back boiler to supplement the current system, and install a new LPG boiler to the right of the chimney breast where all the pipe work comes in, as I have all the rest of the LPG gubbins already there, and of course a new condensing boiler would run that much more efficient than the old thing I have now!

Anyone any thoughts on this set up I’m thinking about?

Much appreciated as always! Mike...

Sponsored Links
If you have an old back boiler then they are hardly 60% efficient!

With the high price of gas you should be thinking of a modern condensing boiler with over 90% efficiency.

Open gas fires are hardly 15% efficient! Its cheaoper to use an electric fire if you must have a fire at all.

I hope your loft has a good thick 200 mm plus of insulation!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
If you have an old back boiler then they are hardly 60% efficient!

With the high price of gas you should be thinking of a modern condensing boiler with over 90% efficiency.

Open gas fires are hardly 15% efficient! Its cheaoper to use an electric fire if you must have a fire at all.

I hope your loft has a good thick 200 mm plus of insulation!

Tony Glazier

Thanks so much for that! :D

my loft is all well insulated up :)

I'm more thinking of a multifuel stove, as i've a decent supply of wood, I'd definately not go down the route of an open gas fire!

Thanks again.. Mike :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back