Changing MCB's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: I am wanting to upgrade my shower from a 7KW to 9.5KW and have been told that I should use at least a 40A MCB.
The 7KW is connected to a 30A MCB. Can I replace the 30A with a 40A MCB and if so is there any particular type I need.
The only identifying mark on the MCB case is C50 SERIES.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
it should also be the closet one to the main switch, but yes get the same brand, take it with you to an electrical wholesaler to be sure

Hi one other thing,the 7kw shower may have been run in 6mm/2 and the 9.5 kw would need to be in 10mm/2.Changing the mcb is usually straight forward, turn OFF the electric, remove the enclosure and two screws one for the cable and one holdind the mcb to the busbar.Some mcbs also have a retaining clip at the bottom

Why should the 40 amp MCB be nearest the main switch, and does it matter if it is nt.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The biggest "draw" should always be closest to the on/off or incoming power supply, the smallest (i.e. lights) furthest away. That way when you switch the shower on you don't get a sudden surge through your lower rated circuits (or something like that !!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back