fuse bourd, want 40a fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

ok after looking for 40a fuse wire to change the current 30a fuse used only by the shower, i learned it dose not exist.

can aneone tell me if its going to be possable to get a fuse to 40 amp on this fuse bourd?

the fuse bourd is made by centaur and has a max load of 80.

the reason i want a 40a fuse is for a new shower (30a only allows for a 7kw shower and i want to install an 8kw shower which will need 40a) so at present its running threw 6mm paired cable using a 30a fuse, so that needs to be 40a cable.

can anyone give me some advice please.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Best advice is to call in an electrician - it isn't as streight forwards as just changing the fuse!
The cable needs to be checked that it is suitable otherwise it can overheat as does the isolator switch.
As for your fuse board, I haven't got a clue! I doubt it has RCD protection as it sounds as if it is rewirable fuses so will probably need updated too.

You need to contact an electrician to install a new consumer unit for you.

You fuse box can only handle a maximum fuse size of 30A

You are also required to have an RCD protecting any circuit in the bathroom, which you do not currently have.

Also, depending on how and where the cable is run, 6.0mm² may not be big enough for a 40A supply.

One of my customers has previously done exactly as you propose.

07112006291.jpg

Spark123, centaur were CEFs own brand copy of the wylex standard.

They are rated the same as wylex, and catch fire even easier. :eek:

Sponsored Links
Except Centaur are CEFs Trunking Manufacturer, The Boards would be Proteus or MCG

thanks,

the distance for the 6mm cabling is less then 7 meter , thats max, i was reading else were it should be fine solong as its less then 18 meter away.

iv started a new thread on replacing the bourd, and yes i know its best to get a pro :eek:

cheers

The current rating of the cable is dependant on how it is installed.

Except Centaur are CEFs Trunking Manufacturer, The Boards would be Proteus or MCG

On the picture of the burnt fuse board I posted, you can just see the centaur logo moulded into the case above the main switch.

It has a proteus sticker in the to corner as CEF started to use that brand for their CUs

They may make the plastic parts but i can assure you thats all they do. CEF round here sell more of their M2 stuff which is made at RPP.

ok after looking for 40a fuse wire to change the current 30a fuse used only by the shower, i learned it dose not exist.
That's right, it doesn't

can aneone tell me if its going to be possable to get a fuse to 40 amp on this fuse bourd?
Everyone can tell you that is isn't. Which you already know though - it doesn't exist.

the fuse bourd is made by centaur and has a max load of 80.
Not sure if that can take anything bigger than 30A.

the reason i want a 40a fuse is for a new shower (30a only allows for a 7kw shower and i want to install an 8kw shower which will need 40a) so at present its running threw 6mm paired cable using a 30a fuse, so that needs to be 40a cable.
No - if you stick with rewirables it needs to be rated at more than that because the next size fuse is 45A, so the cable needs to be rated at 62A.

can anyone give me some advice please.
Click.

That's right, it doesn't

But 45A fusewire exists.

Everyone can tell you that is isn't. Which you already know though - it doesn't exist.[/quote]

But a fuse or CB to 35A or 45A does exist.

I am not condoning fitting any fuse >32A to this board, just arguing that there are suitable devices available.

40A HRC fuses exist for Wylex standards, still don't know what exists for the proteus ones tho.

Thanks for coming to my rescue, 123.

[scuttles off into corner, whimpering, away from Ban] ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back