changing radiator, gas safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey do you need to be gas safe to change a radiator? The work will involve draining down a combi boiler central heating system, swapping the radiator evolving altering the pipework abit. Then filling the system back up via the filling loop under the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Nope. You are fine to do this without being gas safe registered.

Just as long as you don't need to remove the case on the boiler then all is ok

Nope. You are fine to do this without being gas safe registered.

Just as long as you don't need to remove the case on the boiler then all is ok
I just wondered can a non gas safe person not even remove the eternal casing on a boiler now? Or do you mean you can't remove the cover for the combustion chamber, for obvious reasons.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the boiler. The outer casing on most modern boilers also forms the combustion chamber seal. But on older boilers there is normally an outer casing and a seperate combustion chamber panel.

I should have really put 'so long as you don't open the combustion chamber' but most people won't know the difference ;)

Depends on the boiler. The outer casing on most modern boilers also forms the combustion chamber seal. But on older boilers there is normally an outer casing and a seperate combustion chamber panel.

Thanks when I have worked with gas safe engineers, sure most boilers had a outer casing and a separate combustion chamber. But this is going back about 5 years. Have they changed in this time?

Some have, some havent. To name just 2 makes. All new worcester bosch and all modern vaillant combis and system boilers just have one case, and removing it would open the combustion chamber.

Thanks it was mainly alpha's and ideal logics that were getting installed. Anyway like said I won't need to take any covers off the boiler to swap a radiator just turn it off and on after I have refilled.

Just to add. There should be no reason to remove the outer case unless you are gs registered anyway. Even if it does not form part of the combustion chamber seal. As there are plenty of components behind there that are gas related and should not be touched!

Ps. On Ideal logics there is just one outer case, which forms the combustion chamber seal as well.

Just to add. There should be no reason to remove the outer case unless you are gs registered anyway. Even if it does not form part of the combustion chamber seal. As there are plenty of components behind there that are gas related and should not be touched!

Ps. On Ideal logics there is just one outer case, which forms the combustion chamber seal as well.
How does the electrician get away with removing the coater cover to wire up then? Guessing they are not gas safe?

How does the electrician get away with removing the coater cover to wire up then? Guessing they are not gas safe?

Electrical work would be done before boiler commissioned by rgi I imagine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back