Changing room thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have a Glo Underfloor heating system installed. Each zone is controlled by a manual dial thermostat. The wiring centre provides each stat with 24v. I am looking to upgrade the stats to a newer digital (LCD) type, but i am struggling to find any that work off 24v. Could someone please recommend something that would suit my needs?

Sponsored Links
More info about the wiring centre please; make and model for a start.

Im currently at work so cant check, but I believe the whole system (wiring centre and thermostats are branded as "GLO". Id imagine they are just rebranded from another make?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately they don't help as they give no info about the manufacturer. (The blue 24v transformer is made by Block, but that doesn't help.)

However, you should be able to use a volt-free thermostat as the 24v required comes from the controller, not the thermostat. The digital versions of this type of thermostat are nearly always battery operated, to light the display and operate the electronics.

All thermostat manufacturers make volt free versions.

GLO was the manufacturer (I think) DH. but thats about all I can tell you, weather compensation for ufh

GLO was the manufacturer (I think) DH. but thats about all I can tell you, weather compensation for ufh
I didn't realize it was a WC system. :oops: That puts a different complexion on the problem as the existing stat may not be volt-free.

However I have found This leaflet online about GLO, with a couple of phone numbers.

This is a pic of the Stats Circuit diagram if that helps further?
Doesn't really help. :(

Could you post one pic showing everything on the same page?

Is there a wiring diagram for the system you can post?

Sorry D_Halisham, there is no wiring diagram for the system. Im thinking of just buying a 24v stat, like the Honeywell DT90E and seeing how that goes? This is the installation diagram http://www.honeywelluk.com/document...QQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFkpcOkEQ4rV3UZ-nzm49Kf7vD_xQ

It shows only two wire installation, whereas my current stat contains three wires? According to section 3 in the diagram, what is the setup that I would use?

Another quick question if I may. Each room has its own stat, which controls its own actuator via the wiring centre. Can I just connect the accuators from say three zones to switch on from one thermostat. For instance could I connect the sun room and utillity room to come on when the kitchen thermostat calls for heat, just by connecting the other two rooms accuators wires with the kitchen accuators wires from the wiring centre?

I am not sure what you are hoping to achieve!

If your system is operating on a weather compensation ( WC ) basis then individual room stats are not required. Although they can be used to turn off a room when heating is not needed.

Because of the very long time constant of UFH systems then room stats are not very effective and WC is far more effective.

Tony

Because kitchens generate cooking heat, any stat in a kitchen should never be used to control any other areas.

Tony

I am not sure what you are hoping to achieve!

If your system is operating on a weather compensation ( WC ) basis then individual room stats are not required. Although they can be used to turn off a room when heating is not needed.

Because of the very long time constant of UFH systems then room stats are not very effective and WC is far more effective.

Tony

Thats just it Agile, I can see no evidence of it being a WC system. I can find no evidence of a outside stat feeding back the tempreature to control the system. The reason I wish to combine acctuators is that my sun room and utillity room are cooler rooms during the winter, and because of the basic thermostats I have, they are coming on and off all the time and are using a lot of oil by doing so. I was thinking of combining to the kitchen thermostat, because the kitchen is a very large open plan area complete with a "Snug" area. This area is the main used area, so I would be happy with this tempreature controlling the other rooms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back