Channelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do

I'm buying a flat to do up. Just got the survey back and it turns out floors are solid concrete. The electrics (and plumbing for that matter) are currently channelled outside the walls and I plan to get a rewire done.

It may sound like astupid wquestion, but is it ok for all wiring be channelled through the ceiling void, dropping down to sockets etc?

My original plan was to rewire with lighting circuit in the ceiling and ring mains under floor...

Sponsored Links
No other easy way really is there!

Thats fine, and is how many houses these days are done. A solid gnd floor is quick becoming the norm, either solid slab, or suspended block and beam.

It is also not uncommon on larger houses to have a 1st floor block and beam floor aswell.

Bear in mind that it becomes more of a convention to wire the socket circuit LEFT/RIGHT as opposed to UP/DOWN when wiring all in the ceiling void, but I think you said it was a flat anyway......?

get yourself a copy of the IEE electricians guide to building regs (the green one) this is an excellent reference book for all electrics it is also in colour unlike the onsite guide (the brown one) about £18 from most bookshops

Swanny, do bear in mind that the ceiling may form a fire barrier between your flat and the one above. There are things to consider when breaking thru a fire barrier. These are detailed in the Building Regulations (and not just the ones relating to electrical installations).

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice - I'll have a proper read through the regs!

It's a top floor flat but I'll need to make sure fire hazards etc are taken into account...

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back