Chasing Cables - Safety Question - How deep?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just fitted my TV to the wall and now I need to make the cables disappear into the wall!!

The wall in question in plasterboard on breeze block.

I reckon I need to chase a depth of about 3 cm's, a width of 11cm's and length of a foot.

Is this safe?

Sponsored Links
is there a gap between the plaster board and brick, you might be able to fish it through?

Otherwise chase it out to the brick and cap over with some galv steel cladding of pvc and plaster over.

scrapbook said:
I have just fitted my TV to the wall and now I need to make the cables disappear into the wall!!

I reckon I need to chase a depth of about 3 cm's, a width of 11cm's and length of a foot.

my thats some cable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cables should be buried 5cm deep min according to the 16th edn BS wiring

Sponsored Links
scrapbook said:

The wall in question in plasterboard on breeze block.

Is this safe?

What is behind the wall ? is it a room where conduit on the wall would be acceptable ?

That alternative to chasing saves a lot of work and allows for cable changes when the TV is upgraded and requires even more cables.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Thanks guys.

The wall is plasterboard on dabs on the plasterboard so there is a gap of say 1cm between plasterboard and wall.

By the time you have scart, vga, component, co-axial you need a fair amount of space.

I probably wouldn't need to cut as much out if I was happy to make the cabling permanent, but I wanted to put some large trunking in so I could change the cables as and when required without having to cut the wall open every time.

So the integrity of the wall isn't going to be affected with with a gap of that size in the wall?? :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back