taking out a sizable chunk of a load bearing wall/chasing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am in the middle of fitting all new sockets and media outlets and have a quick (I hope) question. for downstairs the load bearing wall is a single brick wall, not sure of the depth of the brick. For my media cables and modules it is saying that the back box depth needs to be minimum of 40mm so this means I need to use a 47mm back box. If I was to fit this I think I would be pretty much taking out a full brick. would this cause structural integrity of the wall to cause concern? or because this is only for the back box (not the chase) then it would be just like drilling an extractor fan in an outside wall?

I will need to then fit another back box within 500mm of the first for an electrical outlet. probably to the depth of 25-35mm

This is all for the living room wall about 2 meters high. My thoughts were to fit the back box and drill right through to the other side and then channel upwards to the ceiling (as this is where all my media stuff will be). I plan to put everything through 25mm conduit so the chase would be that depth +/-. The reason for wanting to chase on the wall behind is for 3 reasons, there is coving in the room and didn't want to break this and my plastering skills are not that great so the patch work to the plaster would probably be visible, and also running on the other side of the wall takes me straight into the room will clear access to pull cables to where they need to go.

another idea was to do the required depth for the back box, drill right through to the other side and then chase out the plaster horizontally till I hit brick and then sink in as much as possible some trunking. then fit a shelf either above/below the trunking to minimize the sight of this, fill with pictures or something. as this way I have only done the back box and then all cables go into a cupboard and then up into the ceiling

I appreciate your comments/ideas.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'd be amazed how many bricks you could remove from a wall before it failed; sinking in a few 47mm boxes isn't a problem and is common practice - even if they are a little deeper than the norm...

Tom

You'd be amazed how many bricks you could remove from a wall before it failed; sinking in a few 47mm boxes isn't a problem and is common practice - even if they are a little deeper than the norm...

Tom

Thanks Tom, would it make sense for me to take out the entire brick for the 47mm back box (assuming it fits still) this way its a nice clean cut and the cable entry at the back will be sufficient?

I'll confess to not absorbing info about the finish on the other side of the wall, but if you're not worried about disturbing the plaster, then you could remove the whole brick, but personally, i'd just drill and chisel out what I needed to.

Tom

Sponsored Links
I'll confess to not absorbing info about the finish on the other side of the wall, but if you're not worried about disturbing the plaster, then you could remove the whole brick, but personally, i'd just drill and chisel out what I needed to.

Tom

that will most likely be the case for the 35mm socket but as for the 47mm if its anything like the breeze blocks I just sunk into upstairs I am pretty much going to be seeing the plaster on the other side of the wall anyway. as for progress, I will be starting a thread over in the my project section now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back