Cheap PIR lights - any good or all bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're going to have an electrician replace our front & rear lights with new ones, PIRs.

The rear is no problem (other than selecting the correct LED wattage which we weren't sure about. We was advised 30watt but from google images i think this may be too bright, so the next one down was a 10watt. Again google images seemed to suggest this would be fine for our small garden).

We currently have a lantern style lamp on the front. Just no PIR.
Looking on Amazon, there's a fair few thumbs down on the cheaper units. Are they really that bad?

All i want the light for is to come on automatically when you step to the door & need to find your keys.

Any of you have used one of these (that isn't a football stadium floodlight) which you'd recommend fine enough?

LED is always preferred although not essential.

Sponsored Links
Regards the 10w floodlight I have already bought (yesterday) - that one isn't actually for just finding your keys. I'm wanting that one to light up the rear garden, but at the same time not be too bright that it blinds the houses at the rear.

In this case will 10w be inadequate?

Thanks for the links. I'll take a look.

Oh & the 10w unit I bought is the 10w floodlight from LEDHut. Just so you're familiar with the one I've bought.

Sponsored Links
I have a 30W led flood light in the garden (approx 28 meters long) it is just about good enough to help you avoid snails on the path, but I wouldn't call it a flood light. Also, mine are mounted up at the eves and point down, so as not to blind the neighbors. There isn't a whole lot of spilled light once you are 10meters down the garden.

I opted for separate PIR sensors, as it seems like it is always the PIR sensors that fail on these things! This is more of a head ache to install, as you need junction boxes and the correct outdoor cable, but should be cheaper to maintain down the line when the pirs fail.

Lidl has PIRs and lights from Thursday on special!

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?id=752

When you say 30W, do you mean a 30W LED? Or do you mean "equivalent to a 30W incandescent?" Which would be very dim, like a child's nightlight.

I currently have a 5.6W (actual) LED lamp in my porch light, it is 470 lumens and about equal to a 40W incandescent.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-5-6W-LED-B22-GLS-Frosted-Lamp/p/141656
and is too bright, so I am going to change it to a 3.4W (250 lumens). But my path is short, and there are streetlights.

30W of LED, if modern, would be as brighter than two 100W incandescents, which would be a lot for quite a long path.

I have noticed some suppliers, especially Philips, market their LEDs as "30W" "60W" etc, meaning the incandescent lamp they are roughly equivalent to. I find this misleading, but perhaps it is intended to help the elderly.

I am annoyed by makers that do not show lumens output on the packaging.

Last edited:
Hi JohnD, I measured the current at the time, and I remember the LED seems to pull less than 30W, I think more like 22W. I suppose the regulator gobbles up some of this also, so yes, less than the 30W written on the box. I have one on each end of the house, so the output is OK for patio and half way down the garden. If I pointed them down the garden, rather than straight down at the floor, the result would be better for me, worse for the neighbors. Not that they return the favor! My bathroom has lighting akin to the surface of the planet mercury when the neighbors garden light is on.

These LED lights were cheap from amazon about 3 years ago. I'm told newer offerings are more accurately specified, or at least better earth! All the lamps had inadequate internal earth connections. But I bought an outdoor lamp from one of the diy sheds recently, and it was similarly under performing! The pir used a good proportion of the power!
I guess most people don't have the capability to check, so the risk or returns for the retailers is low.

I had a 100W commercial LED light from a pucker manufacturer and the output was indeed quite staggering. So, if you pay more, you might get what you pay for it seems.

When plugged in inside the house, I guess the 30W flood lights are roughly equivalent to a 200W halogen type uplighter. i.e. easily enough to paint and plaster a wall with!

I had a 100W commercial LED light from a pucker manufacturer and the output was indeed quite staggering. So, if you pay more, you might get what you pay for it seems.
I must say that I would have expected that the light output from a 100W LED from almost any manufacturer would be "quite staggering"!

Kind Regards, John

No one makes a high reliabilty PIR, even in expensive lamps, the PIR module is a cheapo Chinese one, expect a 30+% failure in the first two years.
Frank

Her in doors bought a cheap flood light when a local Aldi opened 120W with built in PIR less than £5, however the cable cost me nearly £5 and the tube lasted 3 days. So it was internet and a 5.5W LED bulb to fit the lamp. Arrived and fitted works A1 so with cable and new bulb cost has gone to around £14 but to my mind £14 well spent. And the 5.5W LED tube replacement is ample.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back