A good LED PIR security light? Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have outdoor lights controlled by interior switches both front & rear of the house.

The front is annoying because i want that to come on automatic when you step to the door so you can find the right key in the dark.

The rear is currently a pathetic light. I want to switch this for an LED PIR.

But with so many on the market & talk of lumens & the like i'm not sure which unit to buy in.

I don't want it to be like a football stadium light but i do want it to light up the back garden quite well.

If you need dimensions of back garden then i can get this tomorrow but for now i'm just hoping someone can recommend a good LED unit that isn't dim but isn't insanely bright.

Sponsored Links
These http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-led-pir-floodlight-grey-10w/7214g do that find the keys in the dark bit nicely (for the front door). The back garden- depends how bright you want it. Get the 10w one first, before you nail it up above the front door stick a long flex on it, wave it at the back garden and see what you think. That lamp above gives me enough light across 8m x 8m (from about 3m height) to see if anything is moving and to avoid the trenches, not really bright enough to use it as a working light at that spread though.

A few irritants with this flood (and probably true of all the cheap COB LED floods). Because the LED is very near the front of the fitting, the dazzle angle (where you get stray light annoying the neighbours) is nearly 180 degrees, even though the effective beam is only about 120.

Another picky point - the PIR detector (mounted below the lamp) can point either in the direction of the flood or below. No pan possible, the limited tilt is a nuisance (if you have the lamp pointed more or less straight down to cut dazzle, the detector does nowt til you're right under the thing)

A positive point with a niggle- you need a wee Allen key (supplied) to get into the wiring. The machine screws fixing the wall bracket to the lamp go into tapped holes in the lamp (hurrah, no more loose M6 nuts everywhere) but need a 5mm Allen key (not supplied) to loosen/tighten.

Another picky point - the PIR detector (mounted below the lamp) can point either in the direction of the flood or below. No pan possible, the limited tilt is a nuisance (if you have the lamp pointed more or less straight down to cut dazzle, the detector does nowt til you're right under the thing)

Why are manufacturers still making them like this?! It's madness. I always use a seperate PIR fixed near the flood which is an ideal place to terminate the short bit of flex often supplied with the LED floods, and gives you full control over PIR and light directon.

I use these a lot, in the various wattages. The light can be tilted right down and they are dead easy to install.

Last edited:
I recently fitted one of these... http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-slimline-led-floodlight-30w-black/9123h

and paired it with one of these... http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-standalone-pir/6630f

The light gives good coverage in a decent sized rear garden, and the PIR has an 'override' facility meaning you can flick the internal switch off/on a couple of times and it will stay on permanently (or at least, until dawn) - this was the crucial feature we needed that was sadly lacking in many of the combined units available. That PIR has good 180 degree detection and comes with a mask to blank out any areas not required, but there is another unit available from same supplier if you want a more 'targetted' area - http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-140-standalone-pir/11291

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back