Cheap Way To Heat Barn Conversion?

i suspect the op has had quotes for different systems and they have been way more than what he thought and is looking for a cheap solution, of which he will have trouble finding.
his original idea was undersink water heaters :LOL: :LOL:
a barn conversion property isn't exactly going to be sold for peanuts, so invest in it properly op. how would you feel if you brought a aston martin and someone put a vauxhall corsa engine in it :rolleyes:

I would check under the bonnet first, before I bought the Aston...having spend £250,000 CASH on it, I don't believe that's called peanuts, do you? The under sink heaters was just a question for 'so called professionals', but I see this is the wrong forum for that, I wanted impartial advice not people who just are intent on punting their own services. LOL

I really can't see why investing an additional £23K for a system when we will only use it for 6 months - would you waste £23K like that dean7445? I guess not!

I have some ideas now, so I will go and speak to the professionals WE choose to for a price.

Thanks to all for their biased opinion.

Sponsored Links
You'll only be using the roof for six months, so that was a wasted investment too....

I take it that all of the issues that you have had with the barn have all been linked to your attitude.

If I was looking to buy a newly completed barn conversion I would expect it to have fully green heating and HW services and I would not expect to have to start again with those installations which would be very disruptive to install.

If you're doing this barn to sell then you should be doing it properly!

(BTW I am not a professional but a keen amatuer (although a retired professional engineer) who is completing the renovation of a 200m2 architect designed house (1979 build) and have retrofitted UFH, etc. Very, very disruptive! I am not looking to sell you anything.)

Sponsored Links
I've been in the UFH for 20+ years - this is always by far the best and lowest cost way to heat a property. Investment on a heatpump (HP) is a great idea if you plan to stay in the property. As you mention you are not you can still do a few things to make the running cost attractive to future buyers:
Pipe spacing closer together to allow you to run at lower temperature - will allow the use of a HP in the future but will return low running even on oil.
The design is the most important as is the insulation. You will need to blend the water from the boiler to a lower temperature.
So even if you plan to sell there are things that can be done to make it attractive - perhaps a bit of future planning.
I would say get in touch with me but I don't want to be advertising!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back