Cheapest option for drying clothes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My wife has been struggling to get our children's clothes dry of late and has started putting the central heating on in the evening simply to dry the clothes ( the house is still reasonably warm without the heating on at the moment)

This got me thinking, we never got around to replacing our tumble dryer as i viewed it as an expensive item to use but in reality i guess it might well be a cheaper option than having the heating on just to dry clothes ?

Can anyone in the know please advise here ? - let's face it i'm faced with spending £150 for a dryer so how much would it cost to have the heating on for 2 hours in a reasonably well insulated 4 bed detached ?

tia,
Mike.

Sponsored Links
do not dry washing on the radiators you will cause damp
with out ventilation the damp will penitrate the walls and cause condensation on the coldest areas

a load off washing around 2hrs drying time assume a 2.5kw machine cutting in and out as the temperature raises until near the end its hardly on as the washing dries so lets assume 60% on time over a 2hr cycle so that around 3-3.5kw so iff we assume 12p per kw thats 35 to 40p per load me personally it would cost 8p a unit so 25-30p a load

the actual amount will depend on your actual power cost and your actual machines performance but is hand for comparison purposes

Sponsored Links
Cheapest option for drying clothes?
Definitely a washing line. Some kind of shelter like a carport or extended porch means it can even be used when it's raining.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back