cheapest place to buy electical wiring and switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i am re-wiring my house and wanted to know where the cheapest place to buy sockets, switches, cable, consumer unit ect.
any help would be great!
cheers, mark.

Sponsored Links
GrantD said:

That's true.

But low price can (sometimes) mean low quality. I'd avoid the cheapest brands, and go for new, packaged items. for some reason I've seen Crabtree and MEM sockets and switches going cheap on Ebay when people are clearing surplus stock, I used them occasionally myself (usually like MK, which is not cheap), they're reputable companies and their bigger stuff is good.

Have a look at some discount suppliers like http://www.screwfix.comto see what a normal trade price is, and detect the cheap brands, and don't let yourself overbid or get stuck with high P&P charges that some sellers make their money out of.

And there's sure to be a supplier in your nearest town who may give good prices. They will also have a free magazine on the counter stuffed with adverts and interesting articles.

Some of the own-brands are good, and some aren't you won't know, so avoid the risk. a company called "GET" makes a lot of them in Ireland.

Sponsored Links
In this life you get what you pay for...

In an ideal world I would Crabtree almost everything but this is a bit too pricey! MK is a VERY GOOD compromise between price and quality and I use MK stuff a lot myself!

In my foolish, younger days I used to buy the cheepest s**t I could buy but soon learned that sockets (and especially) lightswitches at 99p each tend to break after a mere few months!

Completely agree with pompeysparks,
My advice to you is to only buy a reputable make, MK or Crabtree for choice.
Safety is paramount, cheap accessories will fail very quickly and are a false economy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back